Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with reinstalling Windows XP Pro  (Read 1926 times)

Deicide764

Help with reinstalling Windows XP Pro
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »
I have an Hp Pavilion 504n that came with Windows XP Pro pre-install. The computer has a 40GB drive that the OS is using. I want to resize the drive to create some partitions. The partition in which the OS is install is taking the whole hard drive space. If I delete the partition, I know I have to reinstall windows but this is where the problem is. The problem that I have is that I don't have a key that I need in order to install the OS or the cd. I tried some tweaks on how to get the key but they didn't work. The computer has a partition of 35GB [which is C:] and another extra partition of 5GB that says [HP_RECOVERY D:]. When I explore the D: drive there are no files, even when I go to the folder options to select the "show hidden files and folders". Eventhough when I double click the D: drive a pop up windows appears displaying the following message:

Rcovery Partition

Warning!

This area of your hard disk
(or partition) contains files used
for your system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could
prevent any recovery later

Is there any way that I could use the D: drive to reinstall windows? If not what are other possible ways to reinstall it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Help with reinstalling Windows XP Pro
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 01:07:51 PM »
     Deicide764..... Did you try this little utility ? It should retreive your product key code for you .
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Deicide764

Re: Help with reinstalling Windows XP Pro
    « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 01:01:38 PM »
    Thanks for the nice utility dl65. Now that I have the product key, How can I reinstall the OS if I dont' have a cd since I bought the computer with the os already preinstall. If you have any idea or suggestion please let me know. For now, I'm gong to try to run the computer from a start up disk and get into the dos to run the setup from the D drive to see if I can use the drive or not. I'll post back again.