Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: updating xp sp2 genuine version  (Read 9088 times)

bek

Re: updating xp sp2 genuine version
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 04:23:02 PM »
Yeah it made me laugh, could just see Tucker scratching his head...you are very "on the ball" if you know what I mean!
Thanks for your help...I've still got an duff copy of windows xp and can't update it but I have managed to download google earth for my 8 year old...I think that's where this started!
Why does an 8 year old want google earth?????

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »
    Two things:

1. This started because Microsoft will *never* allow updates for fake Windows'.

2. We can't help you understand your 8-year old. We're techhies, not psychologists. ;)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

vkr15

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 09:40:21 PM »
    Sounds strange I have sp1 but no problem with updating or running google earth.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 10:17:12 PM »
      Oh no, Google Earth has nothing to do with this. It's the fake Windows that's causing a problem. I don't blame anyone but whoever gave bek the disc for this one. Anyhoo, bek will need a legit copy of Windows, if he wants the updates to work. Sorry, bek. Anyways, if you have any earlier copies of Windows, you can just buy the upgrade version, and insert the earlier disc when it asks for a previous version. It doesn't have to install the older version - it just has to be a full disc.

If you don't have an earlier disc, it's OK - you just need to get the more expensive full disc. And in the meantime, I recommend backing up any files you need, because I would recommend a format right before you install the legit XP. Don't format now - but backup your necessary files. The reason I suggest a format is so that any traces of an illigitemate copy can be removed. If there's even a hint, Microsoft will reject you again and snub you if you call Tech Support. So let's get it cleared before the install.

Mandatory reminder: Formatting a drive destroys all files on the hard drive. No exeptions.
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Scourged

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 06:49:09 AM »
      Two things:

1. This started because Microsoft will *never* allow updates for fake Windows'.

2. We can't help you understand your 8-year old. We're techhies, not psychologists. ;)

Microsoft *always* allow critical updates and sp2 is available for download here-
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
      There wont be a problem installing it it on an *illegal* system.

bek

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 01:35:14 PM »
      Thanks again for your help...I never thought you were psychologists, I was just being friendly.
      My daughter was trying to install the google toolbar and google earth, it was google tool bar that would not load without the service pack2 updates. I downloaded google earth on it's own in the end with no problem.
      By the way my real name is Rebekah!

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 03:39:08 PM »
      Google toolbar=bad. Any toolbar=risk.