Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows2000 boots to blue screen  (Read 5146 times)

Wilko

Windows2000 boots to blue screen
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:08:33 AM »
Hello, hope you can help - apologies if this is an obvious question, it's all still fairly new to me.

My other computer (which is about 5-6 years old) suddenly switched off last night and now won't boot into Windows2000 via safe mode or via CD.

It's gets to the Windows start-up screen - pauses, then brings up a blue screen which includesthe text:-

STOP: c0000145 (application error) failed to initialize properly.....click OK to terminate...etc

It tells me about safe mode, uninstalling any new hardware and to disable BIOS memory options.

The only thing I noticed before it went off last night, is that the clock read December 31st 1997! I've been trying to boot up this morning and when I went into the BIOS, the date was wrong again.

Could this be the battery? I haven't used this particular computer for about 4 months.

Thanks in advance.

Wilko

GX1_Man

Re: Windows2000 boots to blue screen
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:05:15 PM »
If the clock does not hold the correct time ALWAYS start by replacing the CMOS battery.  ;)

Wilko

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

Wilko

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 07:27:23 PM »
Wilko:

If the battery is not one that is hard-wired to the motherboard, you should be able to replace it for less than a buck (or pound or euro).  It might be small and flat like a wristwatch battery.

Doc

Wilko

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for the info.

I've replaced the battery - the good news is the clock is now working properly so changing the battery has helped.

The bad news is I'm still getting the same blue screen as it starts to go into Windows2000.

Any ideas as to what I can try next?

pcdoc4christ

Wilko

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 03:17:41 AM »
Thanks, I'll check it out.