Microsoft > Windows XP

boot sector virus?

(1/1)

lateralus:
I need help in finding out how to get rid of a possible boot sector virus.  I get a green bar for 1/2 a second across the windows loading screen
while I boot XP, so I figured my boot sector was damaged.  I ran the windows recovery and at the DOS prompt I ran CHKDSK with
the following results:

78140128 kilobytes total disk space
36633036 kb are available

4096 bytes in each allotcation unit
19253032 total allocation units on disk
9158259 allocation units available on disk

**Volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked, use /p to check volume**

I used chkdsk/p to check the Volume anyway and heres what I got :

Chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery...
CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume

78140128 kb total disk space
36633032 kb are avilable   **note this is 4 kb less than whats reported in chkdsk**

4096 bytes in each allocation disk
19535032 total allocation units on disk
9158258 allocation units available on disk **note this is 1 unit less than reported on chkdsk**

I've used avast and bitdefender anti virus programs to check the  boot sector and to scan the entire hard drive, but nothing comes
up.

Is there anyway to fix this problem?  I've noticed a huge slow down in performance from this computer since the green bar
started appearing during the windows load up.  Last time this happened a while back, I did not know about boot sector virus
and after three or four reformats I finally gave up because I came across the same problem over and over.  

I need to find a way
to fix the volume, and using fixboot and fixmbr in the windows recovery haven't worked, and last time this came up deleting
partitions and fdisk did not work either

Raptor:
I am not too knowledgeable concerning bootsector viruses, but I understand that if you were to use a boot floppy, the floppy could be infected.

However, XP does not require you to use a bootdisk, unless your CD-ROM is not supported. Are you using an infected bootdisk to install Windows XP?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version