Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Windows 98SE  (Read 4267 times)

SteveFTM

Installing Windows 98SE
« on: April 10, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
Hello

I am trying to install Win98SE on a clean hard drive. The disk has been partitioned and formatted, and I have booted the machine with a Win98SE startup disk.

According to the instructions I'm using (from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fixing Your #$%@ PC"!) I have to type e:\ when the A:\ prompt appears. Done that.

Then insert Win98SE start up CD. Done that.

Then type cd\tools\sysrec and press enter. Done that.

However, I then get the message 'invalid drive specified' and I can't get any further. I've tried typing in different drive letters but it's the same.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

cigarman

Intermediate
    Re: Installing Windows 98SE
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:31:17 PM »
    Your CD Drive is probably D: instead of E, try type in D:

Cigarman

SteveFTM

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:23:17 PM »
    Your CD Drive is probably D: instead of E, try type in D:

Cigarman

Thanks, but I've done that already! I tried every letter from B to H! Same result  ::)

Scourged

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 01:29:55 PM »
    If your using a standard win98 bootdisk it mounts a ram drive after the last hard drive so your cd drive letters are moved back by one. If your first cd drive was d: before it will be e: with a win98 boot floppy.
    If you read the output when the disk is booting it will tell you what letter your cd is.

If its new it might be that your hard drive isnt recognised by the bios.

SteveFTM

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 12:36:31 PM »
    Hello

I am trying to install Win98SE on a clean hard drive. The disk has been partitioned and formatted, and I have booted the machine with a Win98SE startup disk.

According to the instructions I'm using (from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fixing Your #$%@ PC"!) I have to type e:\ when the A:\ prompt appears. Done that.

Then insert Win98SE start up CD. Done that.

Then type cd\tools\sysrec and press enter. Done that.

However, I then get the message 'invalid drive specified' and I can't get any further. I've tried typing in different drive letters but it's the same.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Hello again,

Sorry about this, but I gave you the wrong info.
    When I type cd\tools\sysrec the message I get is "invalid directory", not "invalid drive" as I said yesterday  :-[

Any ideas now?

Scourged

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »
    Its
    e:
    cd tools
    cd sysrec
    Pcrestor.bat is the only runnable file in that directory and if you havent got a previous backup its no good for you anyway.

You probably need
    e:
    setup /?
    Then run setup the way you want it.