Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Idle CPU Usage  (Read 2709 times)

Widget

System Idle CPU Usage
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:21:03 AM »
 Can anyone help?
My pc crashes (BSOD) quite regularly & has done almost since I bought it.
The co. went bust shortly after I got it so I couldn't ask them.
I've noticed that when the system is idling the CPU usage is going between 0% & 35%, could this be why it is crashing & if so can I sort it easily?
I've reinstalled Windows twice already & changed the ram.

System is Carrera Octan 64 Pro
Running XP Home
160GB HD (only 1/3 used)
1.5GB ram

Any help/advice appreciated  

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: System Idle CPU Usage
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:05:06 PM »
It's normal for the system usage meter to jump around periodically. Can you please send us your HiJackThis Logfile to help us better assist you? If you need the link to download it, go here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html ...

Flame

Widget

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 09:30:57 AM »
Hi
 Flame,
Thanks for being interested in this, unfortunately this isn't the pc that has the problem. That one is embroiled in a seperate incident with McAfee (unrelated)
Because Mcafee can't get their act together I currently have no AV running on that machine & I'm reluctant to download anything till I get Mcafee working again.
Would it be ok to send the Logfile once I have AV up & running again?
In the meantime is there any other info I could send you without accessing the net?

Widget

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:17:10 PM »
Well, if you're scared to use the internet becuase you have no protection, then I suggest downloading AVG Free on the computer with protection, and using a CD or USB Flash drive to transfer over the install file. You can obtain AVG Free Here: http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10503939.html?tag=lst-0-2 ... If you have a CD burner, or USB Flash dirve, you will find it very easy to do. Just save the file to your desktop, and copy it to a CD or Flash Drive. Once copied, just put the CD or Flash Drive into your other computer, and run the installation. No internet connection should be needed until you have installed the software.

Flame

Widget

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 04:58:47 AM »
Flame
Sorry to be a pain about this but I can't 'enable' McAfee VSO because it says I still have a file from Panda AV (not true)
If I download yet another AV I'll never get McAfee enabled.
As soon as I get McAfee sorted I'll follow your instructions for the logfile.
Hope this is ok?
Widget

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 06:18:32 AM »
If that's what you want to do. Let us kow when you are ready  :)

Flame

Widget

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 05:25:27 AM »
OK, pc up & running & AV working. I've opened the link to the website you gave me (Major Geeks) unfortunately I don't know what to do next, sorry, still quite a beginner.
Widget

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 06:59:43 AM »
Not to worry. It's always confusing the first time. Open the link, and you will see at the top-middle part of the page, it says Download From:  and it will list their servers. Depending on which country you are in, select the one that belongs to your country. You can tell by the flags. If your country is not listed, then just pick one randomly.

Flame

Widget

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 07:19:01 AM »
Hope this is ok
Widget