Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just downloaded YABB, need some help running it  (Read 8383 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Just downloaded YABB, need some help running i
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »
are you tryin to out do computer hope with a yaBB? or is this just another random web forum?
No. You can view my fourm by clicking on the WWW link below my name.
Everywhere, it is written to come here for computer help. My site is for other stuff.

What I was hoping to accomplish with a YaBB forum was to put it onto a removable device, to make it run off that device, and allow me to write myself notes using YaBB on the flash disk, with access only given to me. And so I could upload files onto my flash disk, and whatnot... (I know it sounds completely and utterly crazy that I would even try to do something like that) (don't call me crazy)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 11:52:50 AM »
i would call you crazy, but i have done far crazer things, read the Random mods thread

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 12:07:16 PM »
I just downloaded YaBB (yet another bulletin board) and I would like to run it from my HD, but I cannot get it to work. I did read the instructions (and gave myself one heck of a headache) but I cannot figure it out.
How would I get it to run off my PC?

(I am seeing if anyone here knows how before I go and join the YaBB community. I don't want another username and password to take care of)
zylstra555, get your *censored* over to the YaBB community and ask your question.  That's surely the best source for a question like this.  Just use the same username and password as your ComputerHope username and password if you want to avoid creating different ones.

However, if were a betting man, I'd definitely bet you can't do what you want to do.  I think you surely need to have the YaBB running on a server.  You could back up your BB on a flash drive or whatever, but not "run" it from there.

Dmitri

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »
u cannot use flash drive for this purpose. Forum must be always up to have purpose.

Blackberry

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    « Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 02:06:40 AM »
    Ok, how about a different question...
    Is there a way that I can make it so YaBB will run off of a flash drive?
    I have downloaded a few backups of my forum, and tried to run it from a folder on my computer, but it didn't work at all.

I would think that this is probably because it needs a PHP enabled server, or something like that.

That is possible, there is a portable version of an apache server, php & msql/perl, but I forgot how it's named. But mind, the application takes 200 MB...
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)