Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new pc rebuild wont boot properly  (Read 4315 times)

bri

new pc rebuild wont boot properly
« on: May 08, 2006, 07:48:18 AM »
Spec:
Mainboard: MSI Microstar KM4M
Processor: AMD Sempron 2200+
RAM: 2x 256 DDR 333mhz (only stick one in at moment and I have a 1gb stick arriving soon)
Hard Drive: Maxtor 80gb
GRAPHICS CARD: 256MB Radeon (not connected)

I have recently upgraded my computer with this new spec. I have tested the RAM and the hard drive on different computers and they both work fine. However when I boot up the machine makes one beep and then stops after the memory detection. I cant go into the BIOS because the keyboard does not function (either with PS2 or USB connection) and the CD-ROM has no power going to it. I have tried disconnecting the CD-ROM but still have the same problem. I have removed everything from the computer and put it all back together.
Please help :-/

jackpkmn

Re: new pc rebuild wont boot properly
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:45:47 AM »
Well if you upgraded then have you tryed putting the old stuff back in? If its a new computer then its not your problem its the problem or the guy who sold it to you. If its a used computer beat the guy who sold it to you untill he buys it back. Now there are a couple of things you could try includeing checking the keayborads PS/2 connector bor bent/broken pins. Also you could open your computer and set the reset jumper. If your computer doesnt have one then just remove the CMOS battrey. If you still have a warrenty send it back.

bri

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:55:22 AM »
I bought all the parts brand new and separatley over a space of time. none of the pins are bent on anything.
If i reset the jumper nothing happens - no power at all.
Is this a really big problem if so which part of the machine?

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 10:11:02 AM »
    Maybe this is another power issue???
    You say that there is no Power getting to the CD drive which does seem like there is a lack of power.

99 Problems and London's one of them

bri

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 10:12:58 AM »
    I have just put my old hard drive back in and can now get into bios - just checking all of the settings before i try and boot up windows

bri

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 10:21:06 AM »
    Ok - so with my old HD it will boot up POST and let me into BIOS but it will not boot into windows instead it resets itself.
    Any Ideas

bri

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 10:49:37 AM »
    I now have it so that the new hard drive and cd-rom are recognised.
    The keyboard works (both USB and PS2)
    I can get into BIOS
    BUT
    it wont boot into windows - after POST it restarts

And I cant explain why the keyboard and everything else is suddenly being recognised
     :-?

jackpkmn

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 02:52:43 PM »
    Sounds like your HDD is bad. Uhh lets see here...
    -rumages around in the papers under his desk-
    Here it is:

Ahem, There are two options you can choose in such a situation one of with requres renstalling your OS the latter of wich requires a hammer. Myself prefers the latter. Anywho, Pull all of the plugs out of your drives check for bent pins check for bad temination check for bad cables then put it all back together, reset your BIOS settings and redetect your drives. Then try booting. Rememberr this termination: HDD with your OS is the PriMaster the second HDD is the PriMaster. Your CD/DVD rom drive is the SecMaster and your CD/DVD-RW drive is the SecSlave. If you dont have a second HDD or a second CD then just exlude them from the list. I have had very bad expirence with placeing a CD and a HDD on the same chain. But should you need three HDDs or three CDs then I guess you can. If your computer still does not boot up then place the OS CD in your SecMaster drive and set your computer to boot from the CD. If your computer does not support this, you have a reall sad computer. In witch case set your computer to boot from the floopy drive and insert your EBD.(Emergency boot disk) If this solution fails to solve your problem please contact customer support.

This is writen on a tettered pice of paper under my desk.(Except for the "then you have a really sad computer" part)