Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird thing on Windows 2000 professional.  (Read 4404 times)

Utaker2006

Weird thing on Windows 2000 professional.
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:29:44 PM »
Hey guys, I work at a small boys and girls club type of place that has a little comptuer lab for kids to do their homework and projects and such, most of them work fine except for one. When booted up I get this message:

"*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x8186C3D0, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is your first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
RUN CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on troubleshooting Stop errors."

The thing is, no matter what I can't get on the computer to check for viruses. When I press F8 to go into the booting setting like Safe Mode, if I click it, it loads until giving this message.

As I said before were like a Boys and Girls club that offers not a lot of help in terms of "Computer Tech" we have someone on the payroll I think that really has no idea what he is doing.

The computer has been down for a while and I can't think up any reasons. Any help from you guys? Thanks for any input.

notta

Re: Weird thing on Windows 2000 professional.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:51:15 PM »
 The first thing I would suggest is to take the drive out of the machine and slave(insert the drive as a secondary drive) it to another machine. Hopefully when you boot the OS of the good machine it should detect the problem and repair it. If not run chkdsk /f [driveletter] when you get into Windows. This is a very common problem where I work and I would say that 90% of the time this resolves that issue.
   Another thing that you could try is when you boot the machine hit the F8 as you did before. Than use the "last known good configuration" option. This should restore the machine to a known last good state. This works on occasion, but you may be too far along for this option.
   Couple other causes could be a bad driver install, bad software install, or bad drive itself. If it's a Dell machine they have great diagnostics that you can download for each of their machines. Go to their site and download the diags and make the disks on a working machine. Than boot up the troubled machine with the disks. Just select the drive test because every other test never finds a problem.
   Barring it not being a physical drive problem XP you would be able to fix this with sytem restore easily(if it goes through that is.) Being that the machine is Windows 2000 other than what I listed theirs really not much you can do.
   All is not lost because worst case scenario is rebuilding the machine and you can have that done in no time. It's a bit of a pain, but it's no biggie. The data is the most important thing. Good luck.