Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows freezes when loading...  (Read 4347 times)

Sari

Windows freezes when loading...
« on: March 29, 2004, 01:44:42 PM »
I have Windows XP and my computer was working fine and dandy until the other day when I shut it off. Now whenever I try to start my computer it goes to a screen that asks which action to take. I have the option of three types of safe modes, start with old configuration, and start normally. Any time I select one of the options the computer freezes and will not load windows. I was told to reinstall windows but I do not know how to get the system to read the CD when I put it in since I only have the above options. Please help, Thank you!

MetalMilitia

Re: Windows freezes when loading...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 02:09:31 PM »
you need to boot from CD, Go into the bios and change the primary boot device to CD. then save changes and exit. Now when you boot up with the windows CD in you can either format the hard drive and do a clean install or (try and) repair the installation.  

Sari

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:55:45 PM »
Can you please tell me how to get into Bios? Since I cannot get past the bootup screen?

SCOTTY1974

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 07:57:14 AM »
It depends on your pc model, but usually hitting delete during posting will do it. If that doesn't work try f1 or f2 during posting. just start hitting the del key as soon as you power up.

Ree

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 10:34:17 AM »
I just need to ask something right quick pertaining to the bootscreen.  I can get there in win98 by hitting the delete key at start up, and can find the boot sequence, but **'how do I change the boot sequence'?**  Because I have been told that my registry is confused and I need to go and start the computer with the cd rom and fix the problem with the win98 cd and my drivers cd.

merlin

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 12:32:55 PM »
Ree Because I have been told that my registry is confused and I need to go and start the computer with the cd rom and fix the problem with the win98 cd and my drivers cd snipped
----------------------------------------------------------------------- merlin there is no need to enter the bios just create a boot floppy and when you place that in the drive along with the cd it will ask you do you wish to start win98 with the boot floopy on the srceen it will say..but if you are after a clean install save files to disk and place the floppy in the drive at the  prompt command  type( format C: after it )a:\>format C: and message will appear all files will be deleted ?after that at the a:\>fdisk to format the hardrive come back and tell us what you plan to do?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 12:34:56 PM by merlin »

Ree

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 02:28:58 PM »
I'll do my best to explain my computer problem. Both my CD-ROM and CD-RW stopped working recently, so I went into my Device Manager and found that the Drivers are not installed with these devices. Also the Motherboard recources dosent has a driver listed for the device. I also opened the properties for IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play enumerator and found there is no driver there and no confiuration. I hit the button for set manually and found this under conflicting device list:

Input/Output Range 0374 - 0377 used by:
Secondary SiS IDE Controller
Input/Output Range 0374 - 0377 used by:
SiS PCI IDE Controller
Also, When I try to update the drivers, I am told that the best driver found is already installed for this item.

I found part of the problem in that I had installed InCD and I removed it and The Disconnect boxes in these devices' settings needed to be checked. I did these things and my cds worked fine, til just a little bit ago.  
I remembered that the problems started about the time I added a usb connected HP printer and a usb camera and I already had a usb cam on my computer.  I've since removed the newer camera, and a little bit ago, I removed my HP printer.  Now, I cant get my cds to work and I am none the wiser to my problem.  I know a little about computers (I've only had 3 classes), and am still willing to learn all I can.  If you can help me find the right path to take to fix my pc problem, I would be greatful!
Ree

Ps I am also starting to have problems with IE error messages, slow boots, and lock ups.