Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Time  (Read 4518 times)

panboy

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Windows Time
    « on: June 02, 2006, 10:02:05 AM »
    Hey if any one can help me i have a little problem

im trying to write a batch file that will check the time on a time server and then change my time if the differance is less than 10 mins.

but when i try to run NET TIME /DOMAIN:ntp.maths.tcd.ie

it just returns the error , cannot find DC, it happend if i try to use time.windows.com as well, and i know that one works cause ive sync'ed my clock in the time menu, but i need to know the clock is not going to get a realy wrong value some day that im not at my PC to notice.

if any one can help i be very thankfull.

im on XP but i may need to do this on 2000 and 2003 as well
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows Time
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:59:57 AM »
    With XP, why not use the built-in feature for synchronization of time?  To do this, go to Control Panel, Date and Time Properties, select the Internet Time tab, and check the box for "Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server".

I don't know whether Win 2000 and Server 2003 have the same feature.  You always Google on Internet time synchronization; I believe there's plenty of info and tools already available for this.
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:03:51 PM by soybean »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:03:06 PM »
    The net time command only works if you're logged into a domain controller (e.g. Windows 2003 Server or a Linux Samba server).  For time synchronisation otherwise, you need a client program, such as >Automachron<, which will do the trick for you, automatically.

Win XP has a built in time synch client, but it's not very satisfactory, having very limited options.
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:03:42 PM by robpomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:03:06 AM »
      Thanks rob ill give that program a try.

i dont realy trust the Windows time client , it made my time change to a very wrong number a few times.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 06:59:15 AM »
      i dont realy trust the Windows time client , it made my time change to a very wrong number a few times.
      I'm skeptical.  The Windows time update feature only automatically updates once a week, and that is a limitation.  But, I doubt very much that it caused major discrepancy in your time.  I'd bet something else caused your inaccurate time, such a CMOS battery that may need to be replaced, or some other software or malware.

I just read the info in Windows Help and Support on time sychronization.  It points out that a firewall can also prevent the time synchronization to fail, and it advises users to check their firewall settings.  I've tested the Windows time update feature with my firewall enabled, and it works.  

panboy

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:09:55 AM »
        well it was the pre SP2 windows time that made my PC clock go Off by quite a bit , and i need to set up syncked time on a server in my office that i will then use as an SNTP host . and well once a week isent good enuph, and i still dont trust it  it is windows after all.

the program rob gave look like it'll do the trick tho