Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fresh install of XP Pro and everything is laggy  (Read 13419 times)

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • It's hip to be sq3r.
    Fresh install of XP Pro and everything is laggy
    « on: May 31, 2006, 07:49:26 PM »
    I had some computer problems, and ended up reinstalling Windows.

Whenever I scroll, such as in a webpage, or if I am dragging a window across the screen, or a number of other things, it's very laggy. This wasn't a problem before, and otherwise everything loads up fast and I have no problems with performance.

Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: Fresh install of XP Pro and everything is lagg
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »
    How about some details on the hardware involved, is SP2 applied and all updates, and what antivirus/spyware protection is being used. You have posted nothing for us to work with.  ::)

What were the problems before?
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:58:38 PM by GX1_Man »

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:56:28 PM »
      I suppose you did reinstall the video drivers, didn't you? Any other drivers left behind? (for motherboard)

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • It's hip to be sq3r.
        « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 11:30:32 PM »
        Yeah I'm sorry about that. I was in a rush when I wrote it.

I just installed SP2 with no problems, then checked for updates, and I'm all good in that department.

I use Spybot and Ad-aware most frequently, and AVG for viruses.

As for the video drivers thing, that kinda went over my head. I'm not much of a computer pro myself, hence why I keep running into trouble. I just installed XP (after a while of trying to figure out how to do it) and then that is that.

The problem I had prior to the reinstall is kind of embarrassing. I don't know why I keep trying these things, but I installed a "Windows Vista Transformation Pack" thing, and it messed up my system so that when it gets to the boot screen, it freezes and doesn't load Windows. I'm definitely learning from my mistakes this time though. No more of that crap.

Another thing that occured to me, though this wasn't a problem before, is that I have 11.6 GB left out of a 120 GB hard drive from which I'm running Windows. And that's only after I just now got rid of about 10 Gigs. Might this have anything to do with it?

Thanks.
        « Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:37:31 PM by sqthreer »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:49:03 AM »
        You need to have 15% of your disk space free for the Windows swap file so some extensive housekeeping is in order.

You also need to reinstall all of the appropriate drivers so your hardware will be run as well as possible. Is this a laptop or desktop? What make /model is the computer or motherboard? If you don't know, download Everest Home and find out so we can help you get those drivers.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • It's hip to be sq3r.
          « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 04:26:57 AM »
          Well after a bit more cleaning I have 21.7 gigs free. I could probably do a bit more too.

It's a desktop. The motherboard on my custom built PC died so I moved all my other parts to an older pre-built HP computer until I can afford a new motherboard. I used Everest Home and got the motherboard info:

Motherboard:
                CPU Type                                          AMD Athlon XP, 2083 MHz (12.5 x 167) 2800+
                Motherboard Name                                  Asus A7N8X-LA  (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
                Motherboard Chipset                               nVIDIA nForce2 IGP
                System Memory                                     1024 MB  (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
                BIOS Type                                         Asus AMI (04/21/03)
                Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
                Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Anything else needed?
          « Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:37:42 AM by sqthreer »

sqthreer

Topic Starter

Beginner
          • It's hip to be sq3r.
            « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 03:34:22 PM »
            Blah my bad.

It turns out the only issue was, in fact, the video drivers.

So it's all good in the hood now. Thanks for your help at least :]

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 03:51:26 PM »
            Glad you are all fixed up, and thanks for posting back.   ;)