Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visat Public Beta out today  (Read 14611 times)

panboy

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Visat Public Beta out today
    « on: June 08, 2006, 09:54:19 AM »
    Well i know im going to Download it as soon as the MS file server recover from the sledge hamer blows there taking right now

How many of you guys intend on giving this near final release a Whack?
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Visat Public Beta out today
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 04:31:25 PM »
    Download it?!?! For free?!? Do they let you keep it, or remove it after a certain amount of time (like a trial)???

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
    Pass. At any price.

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 06:31:59 PM »
    I agree with GX1_Man. Pass at any price. I simply don't have the inclination or the wherewithal to go thru another software/hardware update cycle. I have peaked at my level of incompetence.

Zylstra555: Those participating in the public tests will be able to use Vista for up to one year before having to purchase a copy.

8-)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

homer

Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »
      im pretty sure its gonna be loaded with problems at its first release. and if microsoft is actually giving something away for free, im guessing they want u to test it for them.

Zine

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 08:07:02 PM »
      I heard that they are removing the menu bars out of most of the programs for it. And the file extensions are being re-named so no more cross platform file transfers.
      But I say pass, from all that I've heard, it is a bigger pain than it is worth.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 08:25:42 PM »
        plus windows xp STILL has enough problems as it is....

Joe_D

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:31:27 PM »
        Download it?!?! For free?!? Do they let you keep it, or remove it after a certain amount of time (like a trial)???

It expires on 1 june 2007, then you HAVE to buy the retail version as you cant go back to xp. So youre basically trapped into buying it once its installed

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:08:48 AM »
        These kinds of release are partly intended for I.T. companies to install on testbed computers, so they get a preview of the technology and are ready to advise clients when the time comes to upgrade.  I suspect CDs of the Beta OS are included with Technet subscriptions.  I'm changing job to work for an ISP come September, and I will be very interested to give it a whirl.  On a redundant PC utterly disconnected from the network...
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
          « Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 03:42:47 AM »
          I was itching to get my hand on it see how bad it can get broken , but the DL serves are still swamped , and the Boss wont let use use Torrents in the Office , even tho he wonts it too :(

I had the Frist Alpha of Longhorn and boy was it unstable , i change'ed the name of one Of my HDD's and it Broke the hole OS it never Booted again , so i left it like that.. i only deleted the partiction a few weeks ago , but ATM my PC is very much broke so it wont matter anyhow
          Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

kelltech

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »
            Considering the amount of space those stupid XP 'fixes' and updates take up on my hard drive I dont feel very good about a beta os from microsoft. But, I am completely interested and curious about new technological stuff, but for now Vista gets a great big MEH ;D