Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 SE hangs on startup  (Read 4296 times)

elprest1

Windows 98 SE hangs on startup
« on: June 12, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »
Installed McAfee Internet Security Suite on Win 98 SE and after the third or fourth boot, one of the startup McAfee programs hung.  Since then, when I boot the machine, Windows starts to load, but then hangs.  No task bar or anything, even in Safe Mode - just the aqua colored screen.  Pressing Cntl-Alt-Del shows two Mcafee tasks running and nothing else.  The only thing I can do is end these tasks and shut down.  There is no start button since there is no task bar.

If I could delete the McAffee startup tasks, I believe the machine would be ok.  Any ideas?

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Windows 98 SE hangs on startup
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:52:04 AM »
    If you could get a dos based Regedit, you might be able to remove the start up from the RUN key in the registery, or it could be eayser and all you need is to delete the macafie shortcut in the start up folder it might work as well.

There are a like of boot disks here you may be able to use

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1135076888=post#9
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice