Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP and Memory  (Read 15092 times)

XtaszY

Topic Starter

Beginner

• WEB Guard
    WinXP and Memory
    « on: June 29, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »
     I have just installed 1.5 GB of DDRam on my PC and I noticed that my winXP doesn't work properly anymore. I heard that windows XP has difficulties managing over 1GB of RAM. Does anyone know if this is true? Can anyone tell me why (if yes)?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: WinXP and Memory
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »
    Not true.  Did you install new memory along with your old?  If so, are they different brands?  Do you know the maximum amount of memory your motherboard will accomodate?  What is the make and model of your computer? What brand memory did you buy, and what specific memory?

You say your computer does not "work properly".  Exactly, what do you mean?  Does it completely bootup?  
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 09:54:00 AM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:06:03 AM »
    Most likely you either have it installed wrong or you bought the wrong RAM for that machine. Go to www.crucial.com and see what you should have gotten and compare ALL the details (not just speed) to what you got.

You may want to remove and reseat the RAM, and even run memtest on it (free download at www.memtest86.com). Check each stick at a time, then all together for at least an hour.

Again the specifics on your problem would be illuminating.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:06:24 AM by GX1_Man »

XtaszY

Topic Starter

Beginner

• WEB Guard
      « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:45:35 AM »
      My PC works generally fine, my CPU is an Athlon 64 on 3000Mhz, mainboard MSI K8N Neo4 with two GEIL memory sticks one of 1GB and another one of 512MB with identical parameters. What bothers me is the fact that he keeps bulding virtual memory of over 700MB even if it has over 1GB of free memory. I've checked in Control Panel to make sure that the virtual memory is set to automatic. On top of that, I haven't noticed any change in the speed that applications are ran (games, software, webpages...), they even run slower and I don't think that is a normal thing to happen.
      I have posted this question here because I heard that WinXP has difficulties in managing amounts of memory exceeding 1GB. Even the salesman where I've bought the 1GB stick told me this.
      That's about all  :-/

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:07:09 AM »
      " I haven't noticed any change in the speed that applications are ran (games, software, webpages...), they even run slower ..."  Well, which is it, no change or slower?  If, indeed, slower, then there's clearly something not right, but I'm not sure what it is.  Did you follow GX1_MAN's advice?

As far as virtual memory is concerned, I believe it's normal for Windows, if you let it manage virtual memory, to allocate more space when you increase RAM.  

"I have posted this question here because I heard that WinXP has difficulties in managing amounts of memory exceeding 1GB. Even the salesman where I've bought the 1GB stick told me this."  Well, then <LOL>, why did you go ahead and buy an additional 1GB?  

I believe Win XP is supposed to be able to handle up to 4GB on most systems.  If you do some Googling, I think you'll find numerous references stating that.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 11:09:08 AM by soybean »

XtaszY

Topic Starter

Beginner

• WEB Guard
        « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 12:41:03 PM »
        " I  Did you follow GX1_MAN's advice?"
        Not yet, I don't have much time for that now, but I'll do it

"Well, then <LOL>, why did you go ahead and buy an additional 1GB? "
        Because I could   ;D

ok
        I think I'll install win vista64

Thanks to all for help
        « Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:41:50 PM by XtaszY »

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 12:45:30 PM »
        "Because I could", always a very good reason.  What could be more logical?
        « Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:46:07 PM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
        Easy there, Soybean. THat is the number 1 reason people will upgrade to Vista anyway. Not increased function, but "because I could". MS is banking on it.

XtaszY

Topic Starter

Beginner

• WEB Guard
          « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »
          sorry!
          I try to be funny
          sorry again
          I buy the memory because, is right, i want to improve my computer

Thank's again to all

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 03:56:00 PM »
          Most likely you either have it installed wrong or you bought the wrong RAM for that machine. Go to www.crucial.com and see what you should have gotten and compare ALL the details (not just speed) to what you got.

You may want to remove and reseat the RAM, and even run memtest on it (free download at www.memtest86.com). Check each stick at a time, then all together for at least an hour.

Again the specifics on your problem would be illuminating.

Posted again as it was not responded to.

XtaszY

Topic Starter

Beginner

• WEB Guard
            « Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 02:26:46 AM »
            " I  Did you follow GX1_MAN's advice?"
            Not yet, I don't have much time for that now, but I'll do it "

GX1_MAN
             I have answered you in the same post that I answered soybean...