Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Won't move past "loading personal setting"  (Read 2878 times)

tammie467

Won't move past "loading personal setting"
« on: June 23, 2006, 09:48:51 AM »
First off let me say I know absolutely NOTHING about computers!  I have a Dell and I know I have Microsoft 200 XP on it.  Now for the problem.  Our computer keep freezing, and the only way we could "fix it" was to reboot.  Well, my daughter turned it off and now when we turn it on it Stops/Freezes at the "now loading your personal settings" box.  We have tried using the f8 key and have unplugged everything but the monitor and keyboard.  I'm stumped! :-?

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Won't move past "loading personal setting"
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 10:13:26 AM »
    If you don't have anything important on the computer , i would suggest you just reinstall it,

But if you need to save stuff you'll need to do some work on it , and it will wreck your Brain as fixing software is a nightmare even for those in the know

If you what to try to fix it , you need to boot into safe mode By Hitting F8 then selecting safe mode,

and Run Some computer doctoring programs.
    AVG Free
    Ewidow
    Ad-aware
    Spy-bot
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

tammie467

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 10:26:03 AM »
    Don't laugh, remember I said I a computer idiot.
    After turning the computer on and it gets to the point that it is stopping, That is when I have been hitting F8.  Nothing happens.  Now should I be doing that earlier?  ???
    Also, I have no idea how to reinstall the program.  I have put the disk back in and tried to restart that way but if I can't get anything to come up how do I start over. ???
    Nothing major that has to be saved.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:43:18 PM »
    What if you boot with the CD in the drive and restart it? When it says "Press any key to boot from CD" do so.

What is the computer make and model? Is this a real Windows CD or some sort of restore CD? What does it say on it?

If the CD will not boot, make sure ttat in the BIOS/Setup screen the boot order indicates CDROM first. The key combination to get to the BIOS is different on different machines, but it will probably say on screen when the computer starts.
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:44:36 PM by GX1_Man »

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »