Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboarding testing free utility?  (Read 2744 times)

nive

Motherboarding testing free utility?
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »
For more info on why my computer is messed you can see this :o http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149959086/0

My computer frequently gives me the BSOD or restarts. Happens faster when im running a game or something thats a heavy load on the comp.

I know for sure its a hardware issue and I ran tests on my ram, harddrive and they are clean. I replaced my videocard and even tried not using a videocard and it was not the problem. I bought a new powersupply to replace my old one. It broke and overheated my machine and then started causing me the problems. And the powersupply didn't fix it either. So it has to be my motherboard, right? :(. How can I know for sure its my motherboard before i go out and buy one. Most places I know won't take it back if I put it in my computer, and if i keep having the problems even after i replace motherboards ill be screwed.

GX1_Man

Re: Motherboarding testing free utility?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 03:25:31 PM »
This is confusing.  The computer malfunctioned and you changed the PSU and it overheated and caused the problem? Maybe the MB was damaged in all of this, but what kind of powersupply did you use and what is in there now? If the PSU is suspect you could cook another MB quickly. What are the particulars of the system? Has it been overclocked at any point?

nive

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 03:30:07 PM »
heh maybe i shoudl think and type coherently :)

My old bad powersupply overheated comp and probably damaged the motherboard, since my diagnostic tests show the ram, hd and videocard are fine. I got a new powersupply thinking my old powersupply was making it restart and bsod but that didnt help. So now from the tests i know my ram, video card, hd is fine. And my powersupply shoudl be fine too because i bougth a new one. Thame Star switching powersupply atx 550, 500watts (dual fan). This leaves the motherboard as the culprit.

Asus p4s800
p4 2.8ghz
80gig maxtor
ati 9600pro 256mb
2xkingston 512mb ddr

I should mention this also, im typing all this up on the faulty computer right now and ive been on firefox, and mirc for like 2 hours and counting and no restart or bsod so it happens when the comp needs to "act up" :). Playing games etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 03:34:04 PM by nive »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:46:45 PM »
So more intensive  activity triggers the problem? That sounds like heat, bad power supply and bad RAM, although MB is  a possibility. You feel that PSU and RAM are not possible, so what about the temps in the unit? What if you take off the side of the case and blow a fan directly in there while gaming? Does that make a difference?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 03:48:24 PM by GX1_Man »

nive

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »
I doubt its overheat thats causing the restart and bsod. At times i go into a game (right after comp starts up) and stay in there for 20 secs then get the BSOD or restart. And when my comp is on doing nothing on the desktop for hours it gets much hotter but doesnt restart or bsod.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:01:44 PM by nive »