Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shutdown problems  (Read 2985 times)

Arc

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Shutdown problems
    « on: June 26, 2006, 12:35:19 AM »
    It seems that I am having lot of problems lately,

After I removed some spyware from my computer (courtesy of, my sister+myspace) my computer won't shutdown right. When try to shutdown the computer, it will close all the programs like it should, then the icons go away, like normal, but then I'm left with just my backround, and nothing else. I hit [ctrl+alt+del] and closed all the processes(except taskmgr). Still nothing, I ran C:/WINDOWS/system32/shutdown.exe and got nothing. I ran explorer.exe and everything started back up, I did a full system scan, virus, malware, spyware, ect. scans and found nothing. I tried to shutdown again, and the samething happend again, I let it sit for about an hour, just to see if anything would happen, all that did was the screen went black, yet the computer was still on. Does anyone have an idea what's causing this?

btw, the computer is running XP pro, SP2, and I have made no recent hardware changes, or added any new software.

Thanks,

Viper
    You've got to stop taking life so seriously;

or you'll never make it out alive

RapedApe

Re: Shutdown problems
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:02:58 PM »
    Was taskmgr the only running process? Not possible. I think you mean application. At best you can run XP with two running processes not including system idle process. If you do get it to the point where task manager is the only running process please post a screenshot cause that would be interesting to see. Now for the actual problem, one thing you could try would be to shut down using a command line. Try going to start -> run and then typing "shutdown -s" without quotes.

GX1_Man

Re: Shutdown problems
    « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 07:09:40 PM »
    Did you run the scans in safe mode with system restore off? Ewido? Hijack This?