Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp partial install  (Read 1969 times)

Rupununi

xp partial install
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:08:34 AM »
Last week I reinstalled xp but for some reason I thought it didn't install or something :-[ anyway now when I boot up I get two additions of xp the 2nd one is only partially installed.  how do I remove the particially installed xp?
thanks in advance.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: xp partial install
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 09:19:43 AM »
    frist Delete you broken Windows Install.

Then use Msconfig to check the boot paths in the boot.ini

just Run->Msconfig

Click Check Boot Paths , and if you have deldted your broken windows install it will remove it for you

Or you can Edit your boot.ini file
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:42:23 PM »
    Well, if that didn't confuse you enough, you really ought to just reinstall it correctly. Choose to format the partition and all will be well. A hosed install will haunt you again in the future.

Post back AFTER the reinstall if any problems.

Rupununi

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 06:48:47 AM »
    thanks for the info guys, but may not have made my self clear.  I reinstalled xp and inadvertenly started to install another copy. on the same partition.  the second copy is only half installed.  This is the one I would like to remove.  now I'm wondering if I insert the disk and finish the install it that will make it easier to delete?  other wise will just leave as is.  I finally got all the backedup records back on the new xp, and I really don't want to have to fight that problem again.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 07:42:50 AM »
    See above.  ::)