Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: system freezes on shutdown/reboot  (Read 28998 times)

romligina

system freezes on shutdown/reboot
« on: July 02, 2006, 07:18:27 AM »
I have searched Google. I have used XP's help center. I have searched MSKB. EVERY time I shut down or reboot my computer (even software initiated), the system freezes on the "Windows is shutting down..." screen. Must manually shut down which, 9 times out of 10, requires the system to run scandisk at next boot. New system, AMD Athlon 64 3200, PCIe Nvidia video card, 160gb SATA main drive, 1GB DDR 3200/400, mobo is BioStar NF4ST-A9, usb keyboard and mouse, gblan, 19" LCD monitor with DVI connection, 450w PS. Not overclocked, not overheating, all drivers up to date, no conflicts, Win XP SP2 with all updates. Also, 90% of boots do not engage my mouse. Must unplug/plug to activate. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share. :-?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: system freezes on shutdown/reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 09:58:14 AM »
What mouse do you have?  Did you install software/driver that came with it?  Do the mouse and keyboard use the same receiver unit?  Have you tried connecting the mouse to a different USB port?  Do you have an extra/unused mouse (maybe a PS/2 instead of USB) you could try, for testing purposes?

romligina

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »
The mouse is IBM, made by Micro Innovations. No, I do not have/did not install drivers. However, I have put the mouse in ALL 6 of my USB ports and the same problem occurs. If I use the PS2 port, it occurs less often, but occurs occassionally. I'm trying to keep it USB since PS2 isn't hot swappable which means a reboot (with all of it's problems) whenever the mouse isn't found. Also, I have looked for the drivers, but to no avail. Even email support from Micro Innovations says that my model # (found on the bottom of the mouse) is not valid. Hard to find drivers for a mouse that doesn't exist!  :-/  By the way, this mouse never had any issues with XP on my old computer which was Intel P4 Prescott, 3.0.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 03:25:32 PM »
Why would you ever need to hot swap a mouse????

romligina

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 04:19:32 PM »
LOL! When the mouse isn't recognized, I have to unplug/plug it back in. That's what I meant. Sorry.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »
Is there another USB port you could try the mouse on? Are you free of malware?

romligina

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 07:04:09 PM »
As stated before, I have tried all 6 of my usb ports. Mind you, other periferals(sp) don't seem to have the same problem. I realize that all of this points to a bad mouse, but was hoping for help instead of another purchase as this system has strapped me already. Incidently, I appreciate the interest in my mouse issue, but do you have any ideas about the major problem of windows freezing? Thanks so much.  :)

romligina

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
Oh, sorry, YES I am free of malware. I faithfully run ad-aware as well as Sys Mechanic. No viruses or spyware, etc.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
Here's some good reading from the FAQ section:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149804407

romligina

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 07:22:49 PM »
Have done all the above. Nothing seems to work and nothing shows up as errors or gives me any clues as to what may be happening.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »
Did you build this system? Did it ever work correctly?

romligina

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 07:33:19 PM »
Yes, I built it. No, it has not worked correctly yet. I'm hoping to get it to that point. This is the 6th computer I've put together but the 1st to have problems. I was hoping maybe I had incorrectly connected my wiring, but it's done just as the manual says as well as their tech support. They say it's a Windows issue.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 07:38:56 PM »
Why don't you download a Linux Live CD and see if that functions correctly? If it does, it was software, if not, then it is hardware. Do you have a CD burner? Just burn the download as an ISO with Nero, etc. and boot with it.

http://www.slax.org/download.php

Were you using a real Windows CD?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:39:40 PM by GX1_Man »

romligina

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »
I actually already have the file and have burned it previously. I was considering that as well as the possiblity of Windows Vista B2?? Do you know if that's a good idea or not? Thanks.

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 07:48:53 PM »
Vista is not going to help anything. If something malfunctions it could just as likely be due to Vista.  :o

This way you can safely and quickly test.

romligina

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 09:05:52 PM »
Okay. Ran the Live CD. Had to unplug/reconnect my mouse to get it engaged. This is cute: never could get my keyboard to engage (it's also usb). However, when told to shut down the computer, it did. So, where does that leave me????

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 09:08:46 PM »
You have hardware issues. You need to start by trying another mouse. Borrow one for a few minutes if nothing else. Some neighbor has one, honest.  ;)

What else does not work correctly?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 09:10:41 PM by GX1_Man »

romligina

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 09:14:38 PM »
The shutdown process. That's what's really bugging me. It freezes on the Windows is shutting down screen and must manually be shut down. Then scan disk runs on next boot. It won't shut down or reboot, even if software initiated (such as Microsoft Update).

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 09:24:38 PM »
Were you using a real Windows CD?

What about this question?  Was the hard drive new or was it from a previous install of WIndows on another system?

romligina

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »
Well, this is a new hard drive, and YES, a REAL Windows cd, bought and paid for by me. I had initially tried to use my old hard drive, but discovered it had some issues itself (not surprising, it's several years old). So, I purchased a brand new (not refurbished) SATA drive.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »
If you simply start the computer with the mouse disconnected, will the computer shutdown properly by using only the keyboard?  

romligina

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 10:05:31 PM »
Thought maybe you'd found a clue! No such luck. It still won't shut down. When it boots up and starts opening the explorer, something happens because the "chord" sound plays, but it's gone by the time my screen opens up. I checked the event logs and there's nothing there. Can't figure that one, either.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 07:35:54 AM »
Another idea: start Windows in Safe Mode and see whether it will shutdown without freezing.

romligina

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 10:42:12 AM »
Tried safemode. Mouse still didn't work and shutdown froze just like always. I did change my mouse out like gx1_man suggested and I'm not having that problem anymore (so far). Still can't figure the shutdown hangup tho.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 11:07:44 AM »
So, problem solved, right?  Clearly, it was either hardware or driver issue with the mouse; most likely, hardware issue, as GX1_MAN said.

I had a problem with my Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard combo last year after replacing my hard drive and freahly installing Windows.  I had downloaded the latest version of Logitech's SetPoint software, but was experiencing some erratic freezing of the mouse.  I uninstalled that version of SetPoint, went back to the version that came on CD with the mouse/keyboard, and the problem went away.

romligina

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 11:11:50 AM »
Okay, mouse problem solved. I still need to get the system to shutdown properly. Please, does anyone have any ideas??? One thing I have discovered is that it stops responding even before the "exit Windows" sound plays. It seems that it isn't actually stopping any processes properly. It just instantly goes to the "Windows is shutting down" screen and then nothing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 06:34:28 AM by romligina »