Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME problem  (Read 4860 times)

zieg72

Windows ME problem
« on: July 05, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »
Back ground info:  used IBM thinkpad 380ED, bought several years ago (used wiped clean) to do basic e-mail and some oven profile testing.  Started out with Windows 98 which kept locking up so Windows ME 4.90.3000 was installed.  Regular Virus updates from AVG which luckily I never got one.  Several programs and other things were added over the 3 years and other than being slow and the 2 gig hard drive with 80 MB RAM Pentium(r) almost being used up I would still be using it.  My Company issued me a new laptop and I would like to wipe this one clean.  I have done everything that I could read on to do this task.

I have uninstalled all the programs I installed over the years.  Copied all the files I need and started trying to format c:

I have the start-up disc for Windows ME and when I go ADD/Remove Programs Properties and click on the Startup Disc tab I can't get past 12% from the A:  

Trouble is there are 3 other previously deleted files that are one there from a Lynksys wireless card program that was loaded and then uninstalled several months back.  I could never get it to work because my card slot would not recognize and power up the card.  

I want to reinstall the original Windows 98 2nd edition so I can sell it for basic e-mail use.  

Please if there are any suggestions please help.  Thanks in advance.  

GX1_Man

Re: Windows ME problem
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »
So you have the actual CD's? And it can use both a floppy and the CD at the same time (don't have to hot swap)?

Then download an appropriate bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com and format that puppy!

If you do not have the CD's, or can only use one drive at a time we'll have to approach this differently, so we'll wait for you to post back.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 05:33:20 PM by GX1_Man »

zieg72

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 05:39:26 PM »
I don't have the original CD's the Windows ME was a copy and all I have is a copy of the Start-up disc.  As far as both the floppy and CD working at the same time I do not know.  Thanks for the reply!

zieg72

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 05:44:43 PM »
I also have the laptop right by my side on and ready while I sit at my desktop.  I also have the latest Windows live messenger if you have time to walk me through it.  Thanks again.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
So you have absolutely no way to reload Win98 other than removing  ME? This is not going to work. Did that model come with a restore partition/program? Something on screen when it starts like "Press F11 or F12 to restore"?

zieg72

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 06:09:17 PM »
When it starts it goes through the count for memory then IBM logo first shows, then Thinkpad then Windows ME.  I have tried all the F keys while restarting and some do some thinks while others don't, but to answer your question it doesn't give me an option like that

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »
And no Windows CD's at all?

zieg72

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 06:14:33 PM »
Hold the phone, Control F12 during a restart gave me and option Startup Menu with 4 options (normal) (Logged)(safe mode)(step-by-step), maybe I am on to something???

zieg72

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »
And no Windows CD's at all?

No Windows ME CD's at all.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 06:20:31 PM »
And no 98 CD? Did you say you started to format the drive? Maybe you should just blank it out and let someone else pay for an operating system. It's going to eitherr be that or buying a copy and installing it yourself.

zieg72

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 06:23:20 PM »
And no 98 CD? Did you say you started to format the drive? Maybe you should just blank it out and let someone else pay for an operating system. It's going to eitherr be that or buying a copy and installing it yourself.

I have the 98 CD's but it won't let me install them because a "newer version" exhists fault comes up.  I am trying to blank it out but it won't let me.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 06:37:42 PM »
Boot with a 98 SE boot disk. From thte A:> type in

format a:/u/s     and press enter

fdisk/mbr           and press enter

e:setup              and press enter

Off you go.

zieg72

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 06:54:46 PM »
Boot with a 98 SE boot disk. From thte A:> type in

format a:/u/s     and press enter

fdisk/mbr           and press enter

e:setup              and press enter

Off you go.

Tried with either and both discs in during startup.  I went right through and Started Normally as if nothing was in either drive.  I tried going through the Run A:... nothing.  Went to the MS-Dos prompt, changed directories to A: and tried with no success.  What am I doing wrong???

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 07:29:33 PM »
You cannot do this from within Windows. Is that what you're doing? You have to boot with the floppy disk, and the floppy must be set to boot before the hard drive in the BIOS. F1 should get you to the BIOS/Setup on a ThinkPad.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:30:13 PM by GX1_Man »

zieg72

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 01:14:04 PM »
Bingo, once I got into DOS I was able to wipe it clean and start fresh.  Installed Windows 98 2nd edition and found the appropriate driver for the 3Com modem and verified that it dialed up to the net.  Lotus Smart Suite rounded off all the word processing stuff anyone could need.  Thanks so much for your time and suggestions during my quest. Now I can safely sell it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 02:29:04 PM »
Glad you are all fixed up and thanks for posting back. Just think how much easier this will be for you next time.  ;)

zieg72

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 03:38:59 PM »
Just come here and ask??? LOL  No that Windows ME was alike enough to the Windows 98 but from what I read doesn't use DOS.  The F1 key was the trick so I could actually get there.  Hopefully there won't be a next time...

But a new question on an even older laptop IBM that has been not in use for a couple of years...

When I start it it asks for a password???  It has Windows 95 on it and I believe it doesn't get past DOS.  Is that one toast or can I bring it around???

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 04:10:21 PM »
It depends if it is a BIOS password or a Windows password. A WIndows password can usually be avoided by pressingEscape.

A BIOS password is much different and more secure on a laptop than in a desktop. If that is the case, the only real cure is a motherboard replacement. Not cost effective at all, even if you can find one. If that is the case, there is no hope realistically. A desktop is east to get around, not so a laptop.

Let me know which it is. Pressing the F1 key at boot should let you know soon enough.

zieg72

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »
I am afraid it must be a goner then.  There is a little picture of what appears to be a disc with a padlock after it.  You have 3 times to try and after the 3rd time control alt del doesn't even work.  Oh well, thanks again for the help.  Have a great rest of the weekend.

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 07:56:02 PM »
Yep, sorry but those things are meant to be secure.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
Just come here and ask??? LOL  No that Windows ME was alike enough to the Windows 98 but from what I read doesn't use DOS.  The F1 key was the trick so I could actually get there.  Hopefully there won't be a next time...

But a new question on an even older laptop IBM that has been not in use for a couple of years...

When I start it it asks for a password???  It has Windows 95 on it and I believe it doesn't get past DOS.  Is that one toast or can I bring it around???

If you have some spare change lying around...

http://www.pwcrack.com/security_chips_ibm.shtml

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zieg72

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 07:43:04 PM »
I was just trying to get this one going so I could donate it to a local womens shelter for basic e-mail use.  It is so old a CD-Rom isn't a part of it.  It isn't worth putting a dime in it.  Thanks for the reply though.