Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME problem  (Read 4856 times)

GX1_Man

Re: Windows ME problem
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 02:29:04 PM »
Glad you are all fixed up and thanks for posting back. Just think how much easier this will be for you next time.  ;)

zieg72

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 03:38:59 PM »
Just come here and ask??? LOL  No that Windows ME was alike enough to the Windows 98 but from what I read doesn't use DOS.  The F1 key was the trick so I could actually get there.  Hopefully there won't be a next time...

But a new question on an even older laptop IBM that has been not in use for a couple of years...

When I start it it asks for a password???  It has Windows 95 on it and I believe it doesn't get past DOS.  Is that one toast or can I bring it around???

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 04:10:21 PM »
It depends if it is a BIOS password or a Windows password. A WIndows password can usually be avoided by pressingEscape.

A BIOS password is much different and more secure on a laptop than in a desktop. If that is the case, the only real cure is a motherboard replacement. Not cost effective at all, even if you can find one. If that is the case, there is no hope realistically. A desktop is east to get around, not so a laptop.

Let me know which it is. Pressing the F1 key at boot should let you know soon enough.

zieg72

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »
I am afraid it must be a goner then.  There is a little picture of what appears to be a disc with a padlock after it.  You have 3 times to try and after the 3rd time control alt del doesn't even work.  Oh well, thanks again for the help.  Have a great rest of the weekend.

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 07:56:02 PM »
Yep, sorry but those things are meant to be secure.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
Just come here and ask??? LOL  No that Windows ME was alike enough to the Windows 98 but from what I read doesn't use DOS.  The F1 key was the trick so I could actually get there.  Hopefully there won't be a next time...

But a new question on an even older laptop IBM that has been not in use for a couple of years...

When I start it it asks for a password???  It has Windows 95 on it and I believe it doesn't get past DOS.  Is that one toast or can I bring it around???

If you have some spare change lying around...

http://www.pwcrack.com/security_chips_ibm.shtml

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zieg72

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 07:43:04 PM »
I was just trying to get this one going so I could donate it to a local womens shelter for basic e-mail use.  It is so old a CD-Rom isn't a part of it.  It isn't worth putting a dime in it.  Thanks for the reply though.