Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: avatar offer to GX1_MAN  (Read 14486 times)

homer

Expert
    Re: avatar offer to GX1_MAN
    « Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 11:37:32 PM »
    sweet deal go for it!!! :D :D

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 05:33:54 AM »
      Well i happen to think it is very good of you helping CH out. When you were talking about the sigiture, im asumming you were talking to me. Go ahead buddy if you want and do what you do to it!

Chris
      « Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 05:35:10 AM by chriscool9 »

99 Problems and London's one of them

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 08:45:37 AM »
      I bet some people wish they could lose weight this easy.  Here ya go:

This image is only 12,453 bytes, compared to 90,635 for your current image.  

Although I have an old version of NetGraphics Optimizer, I used Paint for this, to illustrate that special software is not needed for this.  Besides, in some cases, Paint, which all Windows users have, does the job just as well as NetGraphics Optimizer.  I simply copied your image into Paint, set the heigth and width attributes to 120 and 320, the actual dimensions, and saved it as a JPEG image.  
      « Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 08:46:26 AM by soybean »

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
      « Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 09:12:51 AM »
      I'm a little embarassed to say that my comments about saving ComputerHope some workload  on their web host server were invalid.  I forgot that adding an avatar in this forum can only be done by pointing to a URL independent of ComputerHope.com.  So, the data traffic consumed with poorly optimized graphics is a matter of concern only the individual forum member using that image.  

However, I still think ComputerHope would want forum members to avoid bloated image files because they could still have an impact on website/forum performance from the visitor's perspective, especially for anyone using a dial-up connection.  All the images on screen, regardless of where they are hosted, must be loaded into the visitor's web browser.

My confusion may have come from the fact that I am an adminstrator for a new forum I helped install for a local organization.  When a user installs an avatar, they can choose among three ways to do that.  Here's a screen capture of what a user of that forum sees when electing to insert an avatar:

As you can see, the first two options actually upload the avatar to the server hosting the website and forum.  The third option shown there works the same as ComputerHope's forum; the avatar resides on a server specified by the user, not on ComputerHope's server.

Note the 6KB limit on file size.
      « Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 10:23:49 AM by soybean »

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
        « Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 04:22:54 PM »
        That is pretty large for an image limit; one forum I'm a part if says 70 x 70 pixels and no more than 4 KB. However, a very large forum, which has fora that are 20 times ours in size (divided into 20 parts there, so basically it's 20 different fora the size of ours) and they allow 120 x 120 and 40 KB, and they allow sig pics (unlike the first one, which does not and I think also has a code to eliminate img tags in sigs).

Weird, huh? ;)
        "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
        LOL for the Smirnoff bottle  ;D
        « Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 07:54:51 PM by GX1_Man »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 08:00:36 PM »

homer

Expert
          « Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 10:30:48 PM »
          ^ lol, i would probably pull all the cords out by trying to take a swig. :D [smiley=beer.gif]

Dead_reckon

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 10:43:32 AM »
          its funny how that bottle was the perfect size...

homer

Expert
            « Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 11:51:37 AM »
            its funny how that bottle was the perfect size...

u thinkin its fake?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 08:29:45 AM »
            nah, its real, they used a micro, or mini ITX board like this one:

and sadly, alot of those boards are more powerfull than your GX1, GX1 man...

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
            « Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
            That is pretty large for an image limit; one forum I'm a part if says 70 x 70 pixels and no more than 4 KB. However, a very large forum, which has fora that are 20 times ours in size (divided into 20 parts there, so basically it's 20 different fora the size of ours) and they allow 120 x 120 and 40 KB, and they allow sig pics (unlike the first one, which does not and I think also has a code to eliminate img tags in sigs).

Weird, huh? ;)
            Yeah, 4KB should really be enough for still images, especially with 70 x 70 pixel limit on display area.  And, it would preclude animated images (always larger files), which is fine with me.  

But, actually, my point was that even a 6KB limit is actually rather small compared to some of the large file sizes for avatars being used here in the forum for avatars, including ... uh .... GX1_MAN.  He still hasn't accepted my offer.

GX1_Man

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 04:11:46 AM »
            Will get around to it, and thanks.  ;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 04:13:26 AM »
            and sadly, alot of those boards are more powerfull than your GX1, GX1 man...

What processor specifically is in those boards? A Samuel or Nehemiah VIA chip?

And where did you get the idea that power is everything?

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
              « Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 05:20:40 AM »
              You don't Still Use a GX1 Do you ? all tho i suppose if you use it only for work and Internet there more than good enough
              Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice