Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Rainbow of 1 sq. inch squares...  (Read 4248 times)

FM_Phoenix

A Rainbow of 1 sq. inch squares...
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:50:33 PM »
For about 3 months now, I've been getting a rainbow variety of small squares all over my screen, only when I play a game like BattleField 2, or Doom 3, I have a Radeon X800 XL (CPI Express) graphics card, my system:
Gateway GT5012
2.8 Ghz Dual Core Duron Processor(Intel)
1 Gig of RAM
Everything is standard, hold the mouse, keyboard, and graphics card.
I play World of Warcraft and rarely see it happen, although it does sometimes after patches. The squares go away if I restart, I was really looking forward to playing the Prey demo and this happens too, except with it, and sometimes with the other the squares were black and gameplay started getting choppy...help! I've heard it could be overheating, so I cleaned off the back of the PC, ick, ton of dog hair and dust, and it still happens when I play anything but WoW, a man can only play one game so long. Anything to do with a CD probably won't work, for some reason my top CD driver has screwed up, wont read disks, and a few weeks ago, stopped opening...yeah boy, computers not even a year old...

I tried doing the update drivers thing in the other topic I just read, no such luck, just asked me to put in the disk, which SOMEONE lost.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:04:30 PM by FM_Phoenix »

GX1_Man

Re: A Rainbow of 1 sq. inch squares...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:13:32 PM »
Heat, damaged graphics card or bad power supply are the main possibilities. I am assuming you have the latest patches downloaded from the game site and appropriate drivers. Spyware/adware/virus problems and a debrided and defragged hard drive with enough free space are also essential.

Open the case and blow a fan in there for an hour of gaming or so. Does this improves things? While the side is off clean out the hair, dust  and other residue in there and make sure all fans are turning. What kind of ventilation is inside the case? Can you monitor your temps?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:14:33 PM by GX1_Man »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »
    I tried doing the update drivers thing in the other topic I just read, no such luck, just asked me to put in the disk, which SOMEONE lost.
    Install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

tucker42

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:01:48 PM »
    You put up with this for 3 months?

FM_Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 05:36:24 AM »
    Yeah, I just got tired of trying and quit BF2, to be honest, I'm 14 and this card isnt getting taken in until a parent decides to use thes 100 dollar warranty. I'll try what you said, thanks, I don't have anything that lets me monitor temperature, its avery good card, shouldnt be any problem with memory, I've got a 226 gig hard drive, only using about half.