Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dead oc-ed com  (Read 2205 times)

lr0y

dead oc-ed com
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:09:05 AM »
hi guys firstly i'd like to say im new to this forum. and i've got a huge problem, recently i tried to over clock my computer and i did it crazily, i didn't know what got to me but i changed the bios settings from 133-170, im using a 2.4 gigz intel processor with a original 865gbl intel mother board.

details of the crashes are (key board and mouse wouldn't light up+ nothing displayed on the monintor) btw i messed up 2 computers (; any suggestions on how to clock back my computer back to its orignial speed?

also may i ask what symptoms are there when your computer's hard drive is corrupted?
i happend to have another computer which doesn't start up normally, it shows the WindowXP screen loading then wallah it restarts ): when it restarts it brings my to a black page where i can on the computer via safe mode/safe mode + networking etc.. and there are options to use last previously good configirations  and start up windows normally. no matter which way i try to start my computer up it just restarts and brings be back to the same page. whats wrong? any ideas? maybe its bios settings? i guess i've really screwed up big time but i really don't wanna spend those money by sending those coms to a technician ): i wanna save up for my gf5500 256+tv+dvi sobsobs..

GX1_Man

Re: dead oc-ed com
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:01:40 AM »
Did you try to overclock via BIOS settings? Just turn it back, or remove the battery for 10 minuts and it will revert to defaults. If you moved jumpers, then check your manual and put them back. There is no telling what has been ruined with this experiement. You either really need to have nothing to lose, a lot of extra money, or a LOT of knowledge to attempt this. I would personally recommend it to no one.  ;)

You can do a search on the forum for black screen, or do a Google search. More specifics would be helpful. THis should get you started:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 01:11:42 PM »
Over-clocking is the best experiment to try...if you're in the market for a new machine.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

royphil345

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:56:56 PM »
Yeah... Sounds like the computer won't function at all at the settings you applied. Chances are nothing's damaged... YET...

GX1_Man is correct that clearing the BIOS will probably do the trick. You'll have to go through all the settings afterward. Everything will be set to it's default value.

Remove the battery.  There may be jumpers close to the battery. Either two unbridged pins, or three pins with two being bridged. In the case of two pins, just short them to each other with something metal. If there are three pins, move the bridge so that the other pin is bridged with the center one... and back again. Replace the battery.

For the computer that won't start correctly...  I'd recommend #1-TuffTEST, the $10.00 version.  You download the software and it creates a bootable floppy disk. Use the disk to boot a problem computer and much of the hardware will be tested. (hard drive, memory, CPU, some mainboard functions, etc...). If the computer passes all the tests, something probably just happened with software and reloading Windows should fix everything. If something doesn't pass the test... you'll know what needs replacing.

Do yourself a favor and don't mess with the overclocking. Even mild overclocking usually requires a premium CPU fan to keep the temps safe. Definitely don't overclock if you have no way to keep an eye on your CPU temp. It's pretty easy to damage your memory. Particularly if it's not "premium".