Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Beep Codes- CPU problem?  (Read 3041 times)

tagelmo

No Beep Codes- CPU problem?
« on: July 16, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »
If when I turn on my setup and the system is completely unresponsive, with no beep codes or anything, could an improperly seated CPU be responsible? If not, what would be an indication of an improperly seated CPU? Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: No Beep Codes- CPU problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 04:48:49 PM »
The most important thing is what happened prior to this. If you haven't been monkeying inside the case, the computer hasn't been jarred, and it was working fine yesterday, improperly seated CPU would be at the bottom of the list.

More details on what is wrong and the history are neaded fore an informed opinion.  ;)

tagelmo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
This post is related to the one entitled something like "Lights flicker but system won't power up". I have never been able to get the system to work, and I don't have a computer that I can swap components in and out of. I think that the problem is the motherboard, but I am just trying to learn as much as I can so that I don't buy a new mobo and then find out that it was really the CPU causing problems. Basically, since I can't find out which components work by testing them in a different computer, I'm trying to learn about typical signs of device failure.

Setup:
Case- Aspire X-Navigator
Mobo- Intel D945PSN LGA 775 socket
CPU- Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz
RAM- 1Gb Patriot 240-pin DDR2 667
HDD- 320Gb Seagate Barricuda SATA 3Gb/s
Optical- Sony DVD Burner
Graphics- ATI Radeon x1600 PRO 512mb PCI-Express
PSU- Antec SP-500 500W
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:15:15 PM by tagelmo »

tagelmo

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »
I've tried stripping the mobo down to the bare essentials- RAM, CPU, and vid card- and firing it up outside of the case, and that yielded the same results I've been getting all along. It seems to me like there's definitely a bad piece of hardware, and I think that the hardware was damaged by the PSU that came with my case, which I originally installed but have since replaced. The speaker that gives the beep codes is built in to the mobo itself, and so since I haven't gotten any beep codes, I believe that the mobo is to blame. Also, I thought maybe I received a second bum power supply because when I turned it on, none of the fans spun. However, I sent a message to Antec's web support, and they told me that most modern power supplies don't do anything until plugged into the mobo; this also leads me to suspect a problem with the motherboard. I just am trying to find some sort of certainty in my problem before I buy a new mobo, and then find out I actually had to buy a new CPU. Any ideas?

-Thanks.