Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer runs slow when internet is loading  (Read 3481 times)

dan_plus_o

Computer runs slow when internet is loading
« on: July 22, 2006, 03:45:11 PM »
Hello. for the last week or so my computer has been running slow everytime the internet loads. The computer never used to run slow when the internet was loading. And it even runs fine every once and a while.

Some examples are.

-When I browse web pages I usly look at more then one thing. I use firefox, so what I do is while one page is loading I open up another tab and look at that site. But recently when the other page is loading the computer runs slow.

-Is used to be able to watch gamespot videos. What would happen before is.... It would load 25% of the video then play that 25% while the other 75% is loading, and the video would run smooth and fine. But now I can only watch the video once it is 100% loaded, because once it has 100% loaded the video then the internet isn't really being used.

-When playing cames at teagames.com the games run slow because the game is constantly loading. It has been doing that for over a week now but I was playing it 2 days ago and it was running fine, but most of the time it is really slow.

It has been doing this for about a week now. I have run four diffrent virus scanners (AVG, Trend Micro, KasperSky, stinger virus scanner) and I have no viruses. I have run spyware programs (Spybot, Pest Patrol, Spyware doctor, Ad-Aware) and I have no spyware. I have also run programs like CCleaner, ewido, tuneup utilites 1 click maintenance, and diskkeeper.

After running everything the computer still runs slow when loading stuff off the internet. Why has my computer all of a sudden been running slow when loading the internet?? It never used to do that.

I bought my computer just after christmas. It is a HP Pavilion a1120n. It has a 519k intel pentium 4 processor, 512MB of Ram, and I am hooked up to telus DSL.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 03:49:53 PM by dan_plus_o »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer runs slow when internet is loading
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 04:03:40 PM »
Well, I hope you don't have multiple anti-virus programs running at the same time.  That could slow down your system.

Is the computer performing as it should when not online?  I'm wondering whether the problem is actually your Internet connection.  Have you ever ran any Internet speed tests?  I suggest visiting www.dslreports.com and running a speed test and tweaks test.  If you create a user account and are logged on when you run the tests, you can save the results and then see your results compared to others.  You may have issues you need to discuss with your ISP.

dan_plus_o

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 04:18:23 PM »
I only have AVG running at all times.

When offline it runs fine. I can download a video of gamespot.com and watch it fine, but when I watch it off their site it runs slow until the video is a 100% loaded.

I tried doing some stuff on an other computer (I never use it) I have and it was also running slow, so I guess my ISP is messed up.

Here is my speed test results:
----------------------------------------
This one was with all other Sonic packages. I don't know which one I have so I ran both of them.

Results
Modem Speed in Megabits/sec: 0.99
Modem Speed in Kilobytes/sec: 126

Details
Test File Size: 1024 KB
Total Elapsed Time: 8.1 Seconds
Modem Speed: 1010 Kbps

Repeat Speed Test  |  Speed Test FAQ's

Graphic Details

You

Dial Up

SubSonic

SonicLite

SonicHome

SuperSonic

---------------------------
This one is with SubSonic or SonicLite.

Results
Modem Speed in Megabits/sec: 1.19
Modem Speed in Kilobytes/sec: 152

Details
Test File Size: 605 KB
Total Elapsed Time: 4 Seconds
Modem Speed: 1215 Kbps

Repeat Speed Test  |  Speed Test FAQ's

Graphic Details

You

Dial Up

SubSonic

SonicLite

SonicHome

SuperSonic

-------------------------------------------

About a week ago I recieved an email from my ISP:
It said
--------------------
As a TELUS high speed customer, you have usage limits associated with your high speed plan. As of July 8, your downloads and uploads exceed your monthly limit.
----------------------

I have been going over the limit of downloading and uploading for over 3 months (I didn't know I had a limit). So, could they be giving me slow speed and messing up my dsl because I have been going over the limit??
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 04:19:04 PM by dan_plus_o »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »
Are you located in Canada?  I would normally not refer someone to another forum, but DSLReports.com has a forum just for TELUS, as well as other ISP's.  You might have a better chance of getting helpful replies over there.  I suggest you try it: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/telus

dan_plus_o

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 05:24:53 PM »
Ok, thanks.

And yes I live in canada.