Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with website  (Read 7502 times)

peter101

Problem with website
« on: August 03, 2004, 12:33:43 PM »
I have produced a website for a local group I belong to. It uses frames: the left one contains a menu of links to other pages; the right hand one contains the current page. The menu frame should stay in place all the time.

When I run the code off-line, it all works perfectly. Several friends have tried the site and it works OK for them. When I visit the site on-line, both frames appear for the home page. When I select a link, the menu frame dissappears. I do not have problems with other similar websites.

Our site is:
www.derby-u3a.org.uk

This site was my first (and only!) attempt at html code.
I would much appreciate any help anyone can give.

SKy

Re: Problem with website
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 12:40:26 PM »
Hi peter101

I'm able to view your website correctly. I'm using IE6.

U got the code fixed? Ur code looks ok. If u still got problem, it might be your browser doesnt support frames or do frames disabled.

robertmillar

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 01:21:01 PM »
Looks ok to me

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 02:19:16 PM »
    peter101.....Try deleting your temp and temp inter net files .....then hit your refresh icon and look at it again ......with your browser. I just had a look and it seems ok to me  ( using IE 6 ) . I also opened it up in Frontpage ......looks ok there as well .  I note that your "About us " link isnt active.

let us know

dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 02:26:09 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

peter101

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 01:02:14 PM »
    Thanks to all for looking at my problem. It seems that the trouble is with my browser set up - which is a relief!

I run IE6 with XP home.

SKy....I cannot find any setting to enable/disable frames.  I went to tools>advanced and reset to its default, but it made no difference.

dl65....I have cleared the temp internet files and also run Internet Sweeper, which clears other internet related files (including hidden), and refreshed, but still no joy. Thanks for pointing out that 'About us' doesn't link. It is in fact supposed to be a heading. I think I'll change its colour or font to make it stand out.

SKy

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 02:50:22 PM »
    Hi Peter101,

Actually I have not heard of any broswer that can toggle between frames On and Off. But I do heard of broswers that do not support frames, and thus got problem displaying frames.

Sorry, I don't mean to be misleading.

Anyway glad u got your proble solved!  : )

Corrosive

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »
    SKy, you can disable frames using Opera. The option is buried in the preferences. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that option in version 5 - I'm at version 7 now.

Just thought you'd like to know... ;)