Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reinstallin and older version of windows  (Read 12093 times)

sam510

reinstallin and older version of windows
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:05:28 AM »
hello i decided to try out windows vista and i hate it. i want to install media center again but its not letting me. it says there is a newer version of windows installed. and i dont want to format my hd cuz i got important data on it.

GX1_Man

Re: reinstallin and older version of windows
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 01:01:04 AM »
If it is not in Add and Remove programs you are SOL. There will be no way to revert back other than formatting the drive. Playing with OS'es can get you in trouble, and you should always back up your data before doing something like this.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 01:50:49 AM »
What file system does Vista use :-?  Would the data files be accessible if the hdd was slaved on a pc running XP or Media Center :-?

Good luck

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:55:13 AM by Dusty »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 02:52:49 AM »
    If you have your "my documents" folder password protected, and especially, locked to other users, make sure you undo it before slaving the harddrive to another computer. Don't make my mistake. :-[

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 08:51:54 AM »
    That's an excellent point. Many people have "password protected" their files from themselves.