Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring hard drive  (Read 3038 times)

trashman666

Transferring hard drive
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »
Is it possible to transfer hard drive with operating system to another computer?

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Transferring hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 12:30:47 PM »
    Yes, but unless the hardware is similar (especially the motherboard), it probably won't work. You could try reinstalling windows over the top in the new computer, you shouldn't lose your files if you do a repair install, but no guarantee it will work. Each time I get a new computer, I get a new harddrive, and put my old one as a slave harddrive. That way I get a new harddrive and fresh OS, and I get to keep my old data! (although you'll need to reinstall most of the programs). Make sure you unpassword protect and unlock your files before you do this though.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 12:33:23 PM »
    And plan on re-registering with Microsoft as the hardware will be different enough to trigger a validation/WGA flag in any event.

Do you have a real Windows CD by chance?

trashman666

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 12:40:52 PM »
    Thank. Will give it a try.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 12:43:47 PM »
    Which are you trying? Don't forget to partition and format the new hard drive first.  ;)

trashman666

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 12:49:50 PM »
    If i add as a slave drive.Would it be possible to then transfer files to new hard drive with same operating system?

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 12:54:42 PM »
    If you get a new, retail hard drive software usually comes along to do this. If not, you have to use Ghost, Acronis true imaging or some other program. You cannot just copy files over. That doesn't work.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1154041625

I use True Image for this, and other backup projects. It's great, but not free. That is the best price you will find also.

tvarmy04

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 02:11:33 PM »
    when i upgraded my hdd i just used my old one as a slave then just copy-pasted all the files that i needed off my old hdd.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 02:20:02 PM »
      On your new computer, persumably with a new harddrive and operating system, simply put in your harddrive as a slave, and it should appear in the My Computer ready for you to copy over. If the new operating system is W2000 or XP, any harddrive should work. If the new OS is ME, 98, or 95 it is unlikey a harddrive that has 2000 or XP on it will be accessible, because of file system differences.

But simply taking the harddrive and putting it in a new computer as the master, and only, harddrive is unlikely to work, without reinstalling windows.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 02:28:36 PM »
      You cannot just copy files over. That doesn't work.

Why would that not work?  I have a second hard drive mounted in my computer but disconnected.  It is my former primary/OS drive.  I know that I can set it as slave and Windows will recognize all partitions on it, assigning different drive letters, of course, than what Windows would show if I re-configured it as master/single drive.  But, all partitions on both drives would be accessible and I believe files can be copied, via Explorer, from the old/slave drive to the master drive.  The OS is Win XP.  Both drives have FAT32 and NTFS partitions, but Win XP will recognize all.  Are you saying this will not work?
      « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:30:59 PM by soybean »

tvarmy04

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 02:31:43 PM »
      copying files over will work cuz thast wat i did it took almost a whole nite just to get my music over but i did work...

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »
      Data files yes, Operating System files, no. I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You have to reload the operating system of the new drive first.

If you copy while running Windows some of the files wil be in use and not be copied. A big old xcopy is not going to do the job.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 02:47:04 PM »
      Right, I know that.  Sorry, I should have stated I was talking about data files.  I believe that's what trashman666 meant, that he was talking about data files.  That's why I raised the issue.

trashman666

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »
      Yes it was data files.