Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why do I want to pay $1099-$1999 for a stupid Mac-  (Read 138215 times)

Dark Blade

• Forum Gaming Master

• Adviser

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Why do I want to pay $1099-$1999 for a stupid Mac-
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 10:00:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNA1RGafuU
That pretty much sums it up... I don't know in whose favour, though...

But seriously... Windows XP >> Mac >> Vista

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 11:13:40 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEvYETWVK6M

This topic was made August 2006

James_Goku

Rookie
    « Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 10:16:11 AM »
    Why do I want to pay $1099-$1999 for a stupid Mac-Book.
    Seriously, I could pay a much more affordable $512 for a laptop with Windows XP and more.
    AND ITS GOT EXPANSIONS!
    As opposed to the always freezing MacBook with its crappyness. (If only that were a word!)

Apple claims to donate laptops to schools. Why is my school still filled with old smelly (not really) computers? (Not that I would want a Mac anyways)

AND WHATS THIS ABOUT PAYING $1099+ FOR AN EASY TO HACK APPLE LAPTOP?!?!!
    1 word,(well actually its 2 words yet it's hyphonated so...) Boot-camp. The ability to have 2 differant OS legally on 1 computer is quite astounding,yet it can only be done legally on a Mac. Why only have the features of one OS? Its basically giving you another $500 worth of computer in one simple download from mac.com, That is why dear sir we buy Macs. You see Apple users Macsamise* their choices.

*Get it Macs-Amise bwahaha. Oh I do crack myself up.
    James

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »
    Oh gosh! Not again! Let the topic rest in peace!   :o ::) :o ::) :o ::)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »
    Why do I want to pay $1099-$1999 for a stupid Mac-Book.
    Seriously, I could pay a much more affordable $512 for a laptop with Windows XP and more.
    AND ITS GOT EXPANSIONS!
    As opposed to the always freezing MacBook with its crappyness. (If only that were a word!)

Apple claims to donate laptops to schools. Why is my school still filled with old smelly (not really) computers? (Not that I would want a Mac anyways)

AND WHATS THIS ABOUT PAYING $1099+ FOR AN EASY TO HACK APPLE LAPTOP?!?!!
    1 word,(well actually its 2 words yet it's hyphonated so...) Boot-camp. The ability to have 2 differant OS legally on 1 computer is quite astounding,yet it can only be done legally on a Mac. Why only have the features of one OS? Its basically giving you another $500 worth of computer in one simple download from mac.com, That is why dear sir we buy Macs. You see Apple users Macsamise* their choices.

*Get it Macs-Amise bwahaha. Oh I do crack myself up.
    James
    1) Boot camp is still BETA software, and is still considered unstable.

2) PC's have the ability, and with even more choices of software, I might mention, to boot multiple operating systems. Not to mention, it can boot any X86 OS, which does include the Mac OS.

Why would I want to pay a bunch extra for something like dual boot when its free on a PC? If I didn't want Mac in the first place, why would I buy a Mac just so I can boot into into Windows using a multiple boot system?

PC's can boot the newer Mac systems that run on the Intel processors anyways.
    What would cause that to be illegal?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:59 AM »
    I had a war on the school bus today comming home, there was an XP side, Vista side and a Mac side.
    Really sad......

JXY

Hopeful
      « Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »
      Who won?
      Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

Dark Blade

• Forum Gaming Master

• Adviser

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 03:27:46 AM »
      Use your imagination...

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 07:10:20 AM »
      Who won?
      Linux appeared out of nowhere and clobbered them all.

JXY

Hopeful
        « Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 08:02:37 AM »
        hmmm...good point.
        Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
        « Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »
        Who won?
        Linux appeared out of nowhere and clobbered them all.
        I will admit, Linux hasn't failed to impress me, there is a lot of OpenSource software for it, but I just enjoy Windows more.
        I do like how the Linux OS has the package manager, a bunch of people from the Linux community attacked me with the fact that its difficult to get viruses, since the Package Manager is inspected.
        I like the WINE program, but it has shown to have limited functionality.

The one thing I don't like about Linux is that the desktop doesn't handle half the work, the terminal program does that for you, and since I don't feel like learning a new "DOS" I'm not up to the advanced work in the back end that happens when you have incompatible software.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »
        I agree. I don't like using the command line. That's why I like openSuSE. They've got the best control panel of any linux distro out there, hands down. I've gone several months without hardly touching the command line because of it. Most linux users will agree that suse has the most intuitive control panel.

JohnK

Hopeful

• Yes
        « Reply #42 on: August 28, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »
        I agree. I don't like using the command line. That's why I like openSuSE. They've got the best control panel of any linux distro out there, hands down. I've gone several months without hardly touching the command line because of it. Most linux users will agree that suse has the most intuitive control panel.
        Yes, I'm going to revive the topic again to throw in my 2¢
        I have my PowerBook G3 (which I am posting this from) and my good old PC. I have a dual boot between Windows 2000 Professional and Kubuntu 7.04 on the PC, and Mac OS X 10.3.9 on the PowerBook.
        I'm one of those weird breeds of people who actually prefers to work with things in console mode, thus the reason I like Mac OS X and Linux so much.
        Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Windows by any means, I just don't like the fact that it's so easily vulnerable, and anyone can modify your Windows directory if they want to.
        I know it's not impossible to write a virus for Linux, but it's certainly more difficult, being that in order to modify anything outside of your home directory you have to enter your root password (or, as in the case of sudo, your user account password).
        Now, back on topic, why would i pay $1099-$1999 for a Mac? Because, if anything, they're good quality computers. My PowerBook is at least 9 years old now, and it's long outlived my 7 year old Toshiba Tecra, which suffers from broken hinges (the screen doesn't stay up on it's own now) and a bad AC jack.
        My PowerBook is also still useful for (somewhat) modern tasks. Try running Windows XP on a 9 year old computer. I've done it before. It's doable, but not very usable by any means.
        (yes, it's perfectly usable, and I'm running like 4 programs right now)
        Well, that's my 2¢
        -John
        « Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:47:24 PM by JohnK »

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #43 on: August 28, 2007, 02:32:13 PM »
        Actually, the only thing I have against Mac is that I don't have one. Well, two things, actually. You also can't really build one. Although, you might be able to now that they support intel. Not sure... ??? But even if I could, why would I want to put such a pretty OS in a boring old box.
        I actually like almost every os that I've tried: windows xp, linux (suse, ubuntu, fedora, etc.), mac OS9 & 10, and especially good old BeOS. The one exception is Vista. That's such a piece of crap and they sacrificed usability for design. Bad move for microsoft.  >:( Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if apple begins to catch up with microsoft in user base. :)

JohnK

Hopeful

• Yes
        « Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 05:50:57 PM »
        Actually, the only thing I have against Mac is that I don't have one. Well, two things, actually. You also can't really build one. Although, you might be able to now that they support intel. Not sure... ??? But even if I could, why would I want to put such a pretty OS in a boring old box.
        I actually like almost every os that I've tried: windows xp, linux (suse, ubuntu, fedora, etc.), mac OS9 & 10, and especially good old BeOS. The one exception is Vista. That's such a piece of crap and they sacrificed usability for design. Bad move for microsoft.  >:( Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if apple begins to catch up with microsoft in user base. :)

I completely agree on the Vista front. I've used it once, and I never want to use it again. I'll stick with Win2k thank you very much.
        As for OS 9, I don't care for it to say the least. The fact that an OS released in 1999 lacks protected memory and a decent implementation of preemptive multitasking is sad. It actually runs slower than Mac OS X on my PowerBook.
        I like Mac OS 8, though, and System 7.
        -John