Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: recovery failure  (Read 1689 times)

johnsonmm51

recovery failure
« on: August 22, 2006, 11:03:02 AM »
I have a Toshiba M35 with XP Home Edition.  I installed a game CD called Marine Sharpshooter on it  and after restarting my notebook it wouldn't load windows or start in safemode.  I changed boot sequence to boot from cd/dvd drive.  When I put in my recovery cd it loads like it's supposed to and I follow the instructions.  When symantec ghost comes up it starts doing it's thing, but it will only run until it gets to 3% done.  It stalls at 3% and then it keeps running for about 15 minutes and then I get an error message saying that the recovery  failed.  I don't know the exact message because I'm at work.  What can I do?

Last night I did a format c: and of course now it say's that the OS cannot be found.  I tried my recovery disck again and of course it failed so figuring I had nothing to lose I took my XP OS disk from my home pc and tried to load it too.  I don't remember the error message, but it failed also.  Is this a good indication that my hard drive is done?  My optical works just fine. I've been advised to do an FDISK, but I really don't want to do that.  I'd prefer to just get another hard drive because I really need this issue resolved by friday.  I can have another drive delivered by 6 PM tomorrow.  I just think that the FDISK option is a little risky.  What do you think?  

GX1_Man

Re: recovery failure
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:05:41 PM »
You can download free diagnostics from the appropriate drive make's site to test the fitness of the drive. If it tests good, then I would slap a SLAX CD in there and see if it works. If all is well, we can proceed from there.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515