Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstall Windows 98  (Read 4301 times)

Soviet_Genius

Reinstall Windows 98
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:29:39 PM »
I used to have Windows 98 on this old laptop that only has 16 RAM and 192 MHZ processor, and the system was totally infested with spyware and viruses, and since the computer barely moves without all that crap it was VERY slow with all that crap there. So I installed Red Hat 7 on it but the internet didn't work. I couldn't reinstall Windows 98 because it has no floppy drive, and the Windows 98 disk isn't bootable. Now I remembered that Nero has an option to make a bootable disk, and I made that bootable disk with Windows 98 on it too. The disk boots into DOS and when I type "format C:" it says "Invalid drive, or format not supported." Another odd thing is that the drive thats autimatically selected is A:\> and when I type "dir" it gives a short list of files that are obviously only the bootable part on the CD. I also tried "format A:-Z:" and for A and B it said "Insert target diskette into drive A/B and press ENTER when ready..." Also, when I try to change to the D drive (cd D:) nothing happens, it just goes back to "DR-DOS A:\>_"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:30:10 PM by Soviet_Genius »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Reinstall Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
Is this a copy of Win98 ? ? A real Win98 CD is bootable and would be able to do what you need...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:50:31 PM »
It doesn't boot on that laptop for some reason, just like a lot of other bootable stuff like Linux live CDs, but anyway, I got it to work.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 05:38:41 AM »
How ? ?

patio.    8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "