Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Broadband on Windows 95  (Read 4654 times)

magic_plank

Broadband on Windows 95
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »
I will shortly recieve a 486 laptop running Windows 95. It has minimal specs and only 8mb ram. Is it possible to use broadband with it?

Also, I may not be able to free up my current modem, so will my spare 28.8kbps modem work with a broadband connection (Yes, I know, it will be verrrry slow)

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Broadband on Windows 95
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 01:11:25 PM »
    Your ISP or modem will probably list some minimum requirements.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 01:55:31 PM »
    Is that "spare" modem intended for a laptop or is it simply an external modem that can be used with any computer?

To use a 28.8kbps modem, you'll need to setup a dialup Internet connection for your ISP in Windows 95.  Does your ISP provide dialup numbers?  

Even though using that modem would yield a very slow Internet connection, that laptop would have difficulty handling a DSL line at full DSL speeds.  Web browsing would be choppy/jerky.  Still, an actual DSL connection might provide a much faster web browsing experience than the 28.8 modem.  

However, if you were able to actually use the DSL connection on that laptop, you need to consider other things.  Can you find firewall software that will run on it?  I rather doubt it.  And, what about spyware removal software and anti-virus software that will run on it?  I suggest forgetting the idea of using that laptop on the Internet except perhaps as a backup computer for Internet access via the 28.8K modem in case you can not get online with your main computer.

magic_plank

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 02:49:06 PM »
    I'm not going to use this as a serious machine, I just want to see if I can do it.
    I dont know if my ISP gives a dialup number, I'll have to get my dad to dig out a bill and check which service he is subscribed to.

So technically its possible, but unadvisable. Am I more likely to get a virus booting true DOS and browsing with Arachne? I would guess so, but just checking.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 03:43:31 PM »
    If you don't use it for email, that will reduce the risk of viruses.  And, I would guess running DOS and browsing with Arachne is less risky, as far as picking up malware/spyware, than using Internet Explorer.  But, I'm really not sure about this.  I'm not familiar with Arachne.

I use Earthlink as the ISP underlying the DSL service which actually billed to me by my telephone service provider, EMBARQ (formerly Sprint).  I can go to Earthlink's website and find a dialup number for my area and use it to connect with a dialup modem.