Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Anti-spyware program; Is it worth buying?  (Read 4324 times)

Toodles

Anti-spyware program; Is it worth buying?
« on: August 26, 2006, 02:25:17 AM »
It's called SpyHunter and, after downloading the free scanner, it picked up a ton of spyware and other programs that my other anti-spyware programs missed. But in order to remove the spyware, you need to buy the full program.

I figured it couldn't hurt to try it, but I seem to be having trouble getting their order form to accept my order. I keep getting a credit card error and there's nothing wrong with my card.

But it got me wondering if this program is even worth buying. Anyone heard of it? Is it worth the $30?

This is the the link to the site: http://www.spywareremove.com/

GX1_Man

Re: Anti-spyware program; Is it worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:53:50 AM »
http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

I don't see your's listed BUT if anything finds lots of stuff that the free ones didn't and then offers to fix it for $$$, I would mark that product off my list immediately. That's exactly how a lot of these rogue programs work.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:23:03 AM »
Even if it is actually a real program, I wouldn't buy it, I have Ad-Aware and Spybot and they have kept my computer clean for a long time and I see no reason to replace them.

Toodles

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 09:02:05 AM »
Further reasearch into the comapny name led to a forum where many, many people were complaing about the company and the product. I decied to purchase another program instead; Spy Sweeper by Webroot Software.

I use AdAware and Spybot already, but there this one adware program that they won't remove that's been on my computer for months now called SurfSidekick also called linksynergy. I had googled linksynergy and one of results reccomeded SpyHunter to remove the program, so I downloaded the free scanner and it found the adware so I thought it was worth buying.

But after reading all of those complaints, I've changed my mind  :o

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 01:13:19 PM »
     Toodles......  If you do in fact have ...... "SurfSidekick'  ........ It should show up in the add/remove list of programs ........ Go into the contol panel and if it shows up there ....remove it ......

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Toodles

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
    I know, I have removed it from there but it's still on my computer. It's still on my startup (I've went to msconfig, unchecked it, but it's still there and can be rechecked) and when I use Google, the popup comes for linksynergy and when I try to close it sometimes 100's of blank internet exporer windows will rapidly open.

This has been a ongoing problem with my computer for a while now and no other spyware removal program finds or removes it. Spyhunter did, but I dont trust that. And so far the free version of Spy Sweeper has. Once I get it on this computer I'm sure it'll remove it too.

pjk

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 03:06:03 PM »
    IMO, most antivirus/antispyware programs that cost money aren't worth it.  There are many, many programs out there for free that do the job fine.

-------------
    www.cleancomputerhelp.com

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »
    Please list ALL the programs you have tried to date to remove this bug...
    So far you have mentioned AdAware, Spybot and SpySweeper...

patio.   8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Sinkhan

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 09:45:11 PM »
    A temporary quick fix for your SurfSideKick would be to delete its registry keys in your registry. That'll almost guarrenteedly cripple the program to the point of not working.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 04:09:11 AM »
    Playing about in the registry is not for the unitiated.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 08:46:57 AM »
      try looking for the folder in the my computer>programs files> name of problem

then delete the folder.