Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2000 user can't get back on the net  (Read 6456 times)

BronxBoy1378

2000 user can't get back on the net
« on: August 29, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »
Looking for some help....In an attempt to clean up my hard drive, and remove "junk" (spyware, old programs, etc) off the computer, I deleted numerous files that I "thought" were not important.  Now when I attempt to launch internet explorer I'm not able to connect to the net.  The modem/router is worker properly because the wireless laptops in the house are working fine.. Also, I deleted the files in the recycle bin before I discovered the problem... All of the software installed on the hard drive is working fine (office, Excel etc).....Any advise as to what to check????
I have try to "restore to last known good configuration" without success..

Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: 2000 user can't get back on the net
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »
Do you have a real Windows CD?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 07:32:38 AM »
    Before you do this, MAKE SURE you have the real Windows CD as suggested by GX1_Man.

Open Control Panel/ Add/Remove Programs / Add/Remove Windows Components.  Un-tick Internet Explorer / reboot / go thru the same process only this time PUT a tick in Internet Explorer.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

BronxBoy1378

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:18:02 PM »
    Yes, I do have a 2000 Pro CD..I will give your suggestion a try...Do I need to backup any of the files I have prior to running the windows CD??

Thanks again for the help..

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:56:43 PM »
    You should always have important files backed up anyway. THis is especially important when tinkering with the operating system itself.