Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: maxtor 80 GB drive asking to format  (Read 1991 times)

ashanfonseka

maxtor 80 GB drive asking to format
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:11:41 AM »
Hi,
my computer was running smoothly but suddenly started slowing down, memory processor all ok and i realize hard disk is very busy with reading the files and i shut it down.

next day when i log in it took a very long time to boot and somehow OS came and computer started running. then i opened my computer it is partitioned as
C (os), D, E, F and when i click on D drive it gave me a message box saying (D drive is not formatted do you need to format) E and F is also the same. and i tried several times and after some time it opened and when i tried to take a back up, data won't read from the hard disk it gives a message as (cycle redundancy check). and i tried to play a song from the hard disk and when it plays it gets interrupted.

now most of my files in D,E and F wont read from the hard properly as well as i can't take no backups it gives (cycle redundancy check) error.

disk check (dskchk) didn't work coz it gives read errors nonstop
but i never had bad sectors before,

i still can't figure out what happened, is it a virus ? is it the end of my hard drive ? can i still recover my data ?

the only bad thing i did was recently i placed my sub woofer next to CPU, but it was some times back, is it because of the magnetic field of the sub ?

i really need some expert advice, and i need to recover my data no worries about the hard disk.

you're the GOD if you can help

thanks,

regards
ashan.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: maxtor 80 GB drive asking to format
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:35:58 AM »
First I can't emphasize enough how important backing up and using two
hard drives is.

If you have a way even with a friend or neighbor to install your hard drive in another computer and use it as a slave and back it up to another drive and burn a copy of your important information.

You could buy a new hard drive reinstall your operating system and try it on the same computer.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

ashanfonseka

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:42:29 AM »
what if data won't read from the disk it says (cycle redundancy check) how come suddenly hard drive get damaged ?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:00:31 AM »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.