Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I install XP Service Pack 3? (SP3)  (Read 164825 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Should I install XP Service Pack 3? (SP3)
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
Installing SP3 has always been a highly debated issue.
We are going to break it down for you, and if anything goes wrong, you're already in the right place.

Note: This topic is open to comments and suggestions, please dont ask for help here though, ask for help on the Microsoft Windows forum on ComputerHope.

When should I not install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
  • If you have an AMD system, you need to take caution. Go to your manufacturer website, and find instructions for installing XP SP3 on your system. If this is a custom build, you should be fine, unless you used a pre-built image to install the operating system.
  • If you are using a custom version of Windows, such as "Windows Lite" or a derivative operating system of Windows that makes Windows more minimal, or if you have any programs installed that extensively change system files (such as programs that replace Windows Explorer shell) you should not install XP SP3.
  • If your computer has been infected by a virus, and caused issues that may have destroyed system files completely, you should not install XP SP3
  • If you already get errors on startup about files being missing, you might want to hold back on upgrading.
AMD Users, download this hotfix before installing SP3: http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/c/6/0c609742-5507-49fb-b028-a00701f13197/WindowsXP-KB953356-x86-ENU.exe

Service packs don't fix issues that already present their symptoms. Don't depend on SP3 to fix problems such as this, unless it's specifically detailed in the SP3 documentation that they will be fixed.

Why should I install SP3?
SP3 doesn't only fix existing known bugs in Windows XP, causing it to be more stable, but it also fixed security holes.
Most people have never been hacked, and many might never have hacking issues, but it's still a good idea to prevent it before it happens. Besides keeping antivirus and a firewall updated and running (Windows Firewall works fine, by the way), keeping your system updated with Windows Updates is also important.
You leave your system more open when you don't install updates and service packs.

I have dialup, how do I get SP3?
You can download SP3 using a flash drive, or a blank CD. You might consider downloading SP3 at a friends house, or local library. Download SP3 here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
A lot of people think dialup makes you impervious to hacking, and though it significantly increases the amount of time it takes to exploit your system, it does not mean that your computer is hack proof.

Also, you can order an SP3 disc from Microsoft which contains other updates besides SP3. Check this option out here:
https://om2.one.microsoft.com/opa/Validation.aspx?StoreID=ce6e3afc-6b25-4f99-8913-3e3453ad966d&LocaleCode=en-us&JavaScriptOn=yes
For another country besides North America, find it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx

I don't use the Internet on one of my XP computers, should I still install SP3?
Yes. Besides security fixes mainly involved with the internet, some security fixes make it harder for a virus to attack your system. Viruses can be transferred by Flash Drive or a self burned CD. You should still have antivirus on non-Internet connected computers.
Also, XP SP3 will fix many bugs in XP, making your system run better.

How do I install SP3?
If you have Internet, simply get it by using Windows Update. If you have automatic updates disabled, open Internet Explorer, and click Tools> "Windows Update"
This will bring you to the update page. You should be first prompted to install XP SP3 before any other upates.
If you don't have Internet, read back up again to: "I have Dialup, how do I get SP3?" for a link to SP3 which you can download elsewhere and then put on a flash drive or CD, or order a copy from Microsoft.

You might also consider reading: "What is Service Pack 3 [Microsoft]"
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:34:27 AM by Calum »

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Should I install XP Service Pack 3? (SP3)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »
Just to add to the dial up thing...if you have an internal modem, your connection IP is just about the same as your machine IP, because there is no routing/NAT. So on dial-up, your IP is much more exposed.

tingting

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
    I wish I had read this about a week ago. A few days ago my system crashed, and I had to replace my mother board and processor. I went with a Asus motherboard with a triple core AMD processor. Of course I had to reformat and install windows. I did all my updates, including service pack 3. So my question is, what happens if you have an AMD chip and install service pack 3? I have noticed some odd behavior, but aside from that, everything seems to be fine. Should I start over and reformat and reinstall again? What are the pro's and con's? Thank you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
    So my question is, what happens if you have an AMD chip and install service pack 3?
    Nothing, they fixed that ages ago.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 06:54:53 AM »
    eh??

Check his 10 posts out. Mods maybe keep an eye? Something (Babel) fishy here. [edit] I see they've gone.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:10:30 AM »
    Yes, I took care of it first thing this morning (my time). Thanks ST.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
    Just wanted to add that updates including SP3 bring my Pentium III 600Mhz laptop with 384MB Ram Running XP Pro to a crawl. I am running my laptop at clean Windows XP Pro SP2 build from CD without updates and it runs quick.

The minute I update it, it gets real slow. So the statement of:
    Also, XP SP3 will fix many bugs in XP, making your system run better.
    May be true on newer hardware, but with older hardware I saw a decrease in performance!

This laptop is my offline 99% of the time beater for coding.