Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you acess the system BIOS  (Read 2498 times)

flickb

How do you acess the system BIOS
« on: September 03, 2006, 05:28:59 PM »

im running windows 98 and i recently encountered a problem and in order to correct it i need to acess the system bios. how can i do this :-?

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: How do you acess the system BIOS
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:42:20 PM »
    When you first boot up the computer you need to press a certain key to access the BIOS. It is usually delete, sometimes a key like F2. It should say when you boot up, press X key to enter setup etc.

Changing a BIOS setting incorrectly can damage your computer, so please make sure you know what you are doing first.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 07:03:22 PM »
    Changing a BIOS setting incorrectly can damage your computer, so please make sure you know what you are doing first.
    That wording is a bit too strong.  It's not likely to physically damage the computer, but it could make it inoperable.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »
    Do we get a clue about the computer or motherboard make/model or do we just have to guess?  ::)

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bios.htm

See below. It takes information to get information.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 10:12:34 AM »
      Actually my dad got a bit trigger happy changing the CPU speed in the BIOS, and it was bye bye processor, so it can physically damage the computer if you're not careful. ::)