Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WMP not behaving well with dual monitors  (Read 2332 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
WMP not behaving well with dual monitors
« on: September 03, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
OS: Win XP Pro, with WMP 10, and running dual monitors on a nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 video card with two CRT monitors, one connected to the VGA port on the card and one connected to the DVI port via a DVI-to-VGA adapter.  

When I visit a website and play video via embedded WMP, the monitor opposite the one displaying the website will display the same video on full screen.  I believe this behavior started recently.  I do not want to full screen display on the second monitor; I do not know why the system is doing this; I can not find settings in WMP that affect this.  

My son has recently used my computer but I do not know if something he did might have caused this behavior.  

keybowvio

Rookie
    Re: WMP not behaving well with dual monitors
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:21:55 PM »
    I can not find settings in WMP that affect this.

I belive that this is a setting that should be in the nview desktop manager, (double click the NView icon in controll panel) not WMP

My computer also uses NView card, so I'll check for the exact place of this option when the power comes back on  >:(, I'm running off a laptop now with ATI.

sorry, not much help really, just a starting place, hope it helps anyway.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 01:57:38 PM »
    Thanks for your reply.  I opened nView Desktop Manager and disabled it.  That made no difference.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
    « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »
    I found a solution.  And, yes, it was a Display setting rather than a WMP setting.  

quote, from http://www.peterprovost.org/archive/2003/08/11/693.aspx :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a feature of your video card. nVidia, if I'm guessing right (it's the most popular brand that does it). Instructions, presuming an nVidia card and moderately recent Detonator drivers: Bring up Desktop properties, on the "Settings" tab, click "Advanced". On the advanced settings dialog, click the nVidia tab (for instance, mine has a little nVidia eye log and the text "GeForce Ti 4400"). That spawns a little "side" selector window. In that, click on "Overlay Controls". There is a section titled "Full Screen Video Mirroring Controls". Inside the "Full Screen Device" drop down, you should be able to pick which monitor, or "Disable" to turn the feature off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 02:40:22 PM by soybean »

keybowvio

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:14:55 PM »
      glad it all worked out  ;)