Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP re-activation  (Read 2938 times)

birdboy

XP re-activation
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:44:06 AM »
Hi there to you all, I have just formatted and partioned my computer, and when I got to the stage of activating Windows XP again, I am having problems being recognised.
The XP I am using is the original one given when I purchased the computer,
Does anyone out there have any ideas.
Birdboy

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: XP re-activation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 05:15:05 AM »
Welcome to Computerhope birdboy.

Read the below website.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:16:37 AM »
    Have you used that CD key on any other Computers,

IF you have it annoys Microsoft and they make it stop working, if not your just going to have to activate it over the phone, its slow and annoying process, but once you get on to a Real Person they will activate it for you

Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 10:09:54 AM »
      Here's a technique you can use if you ever have to reinstall Windows XP and NOT have to go thru the activation process:

"Have you ever wanted to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows XP on a system but you didn't want to mess around with Microsoft's Product Activation after the reinstall? Fortunately, you don't have to.
      As long as you aren't making any hardware alterations, you can back up the activation status files before you reformat the hard drive and then restore them after you reinstall the operating system.
      To perform the backup, follow these steps:
      1.      Use Windows Explorer to open the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
      2.      Copy the Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak files to a floppy disk or CD.
      To perform the restore, follow these steps:
      1.      Decline the activation request at the end of the installation procedure, and restart Windows XP.
      2.      During bootup, press [F8] to access the Windows Advanced Options menu.
      3.      Choose the Safe Mode (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal) option.
      4.      Use Windows Explorer to open the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
      5.      If they exist, rename the new Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak files to Wpadbl.new and Wpabak.new.
      6.      Copy the original Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak files from the floppy disk or CD to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
      7.      Restart the system."

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:39:42 PM »
        birdboy... I'm afraid that your going to have to be much more specific ........
        We need to know how you are trying to format ........ for example a clean install or a repair etc........ Also is the current hardware configuration the same as it was or have you changed anything ....if so what ? Do you have and are you using a legal copy of xp ( one that has only been installed on that machine ).  If you are getting any onscreen messages , we need to know what they are ......

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

jonathan21

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:59:43 AM »
        i agree best way is to phone microsoft to activate.you should alwsy give as much info as possible makes it easier to help.best of luck

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »
        My brother in-law put a dvd burner in his dell whatever and his computer geek friend said that he had to keed the old dvd drive incase he ever wanted to reformat because it was a dell... So is the problem it being a dell or what is discussed at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php  Maybe this should be standard practice with XP.
        CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!