Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bizarre full-screen DOS problem in Windows 95  (Read 4342 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Bizarre full-screen DOS problem in Windows 95
    « on: September 26, 2006, 10:41:05 AM »
    I've got a problem in Windows 95.  I have noticed if I set the color to 24bit (True Color), and go into a full-screen DOS session while running Windows, Windows hangs when I exit from the DOS session.  (This always happens on True Color).  I'm finding it bizarre that it always happens on that color mode, and less often on the lower color settings.)  I've tested that out on 256 colors (10 times in a row I entered and exited a full-screen command prompt), and there was no hang.  I would expect it may sometimes happen on 256 colors, but not often.  I also have the belief it will never happen if it's set on 16 colors.  (I'd rather not use that.)  (Note:  This computer has not been connected to the internet in years, so there are no spyware, viruses, trojans, or worms.)  Bootup of Windows 95 is quite fast.  Does anybody know of any way to completely eliminate this problem?  I'm going to keep it on 256 colors unless a game of mine needs a higher color setting than that.
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:42:09 AM by DarthMaul »

Raptor

Re: Bizarre full-screen DOS problem in Windows 95
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 11:59:08 AM »
    Try other drivers.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 01:06:05 PM »
      Games should automatically set their own colour depth regardless of Windows. Can you not access 32-bit colour? And why would you rather not use 16-bit colour over inferior 256 colours? (Which is 8-bit colour actually)

KristopherWindsor

Beginner
      • FreeBasic Genius
        « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »
        Bootup of Windows 95 is quite fast.  Does anybody know of any way to completely eliminate this problem?

Off topic! ;D ;D ;D

Try other drivers.

...Because these ones get lost in the city?  ;D ;D ;D

Games should automatically set their own colour depth regardless of Windows.

Not always. I had one game in Win 95 that would mostly run in whatever mode I was using, but when I tried running one part of it, the game would ask me to switch to 256 color mode.

Go into a full-screen DOS session while running Windows...

How are you starting MS-DOS? Do you have a PIF directly to the Command Prompt, or do you open another DOS program, which starts MS-DOS?
        Kristopher Windsor (Google me!)