Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer is sluggish  (Read 19361 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Computer is sluggish
« on: September 19, 2006, 05:44:51 PM »
All of a sudden last night, my laptop got rrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaal llllllllllllllllll sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssll llllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooo ooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww w.

Took a long time to boot, and takes a long time to process any commands.

I haven't DL'ed anything out of the ordinary, as far as I know. (Well, apparently I HAVE, I just don't know it!)

Anyway, I looked in task manager and had "cidaemon.exe" in there... Never had seen that before, so I fixed the indexing settings, and that went away.

I ran Spybot, and it came back OK.

AVG runs every morning - it's OK.

I tried running Ad-Aware SE, and it hung up 1730 files into the scan, "HHCTRL.OCX". After it parked there for about 20 minutes, I canceled it out.

I am running Kaspersky now.

It's just nonresponsive. Like you click an icon to launch a program, and it takes a few minutes before it launches.

After Kaspersky, any thoughts on what's the best next couple of programs to run?

Should I just launch Ad-Aware and let it run til like Friday?

(btw AVG, Ad-Aware, etc. - all up-to-date)

(I'm sure someone will ask for a HijackThis log... I'll get to it when I can - in the meantime, any killer apps to run before I run the log?)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 05:45:54 PM by rjbinney »
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer is sluggish
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 05:51:02 PM »
Have you updated the ADAware defs lately ? ?

Try running ADAware in safe mode.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 08:41:15 PM »
Yeah, I thought I'd mentioned that - I had updated everything. Slowly.

Will run it in Safe tonight. Report out in AM.

Thanks
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:33:18 PM »
    Google Ewido

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:55:05 AM »
    I hadn't tried Ewido yet; I have it on another machine and never really thought much of it.

But I will try it now.

I ran Ad-Aware in safe mode last night (that is, I was running XP in Safe Mode and launched Ad-Aware)... ran "Smart System Scan", with "Negligible Risk Entries" and "Low-Risk Threat" searches both ENABLED.

It ran for about six seconds - and I got this message in a little Windows bubble:
    Windows was unable to save all the data for the file c"\program files\common files\installshield\driver\8\Intel 32. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
    (and yes, the message itself was poorly punctuated!)

I cancelled and tried again, got to "Deep scanning local registry", Objects scanned: 60965 when it parked there for the night. The file it parked on (at least what was next to the caret) was "Typelib\{E248965-2CE5-4690-9111-76E79A9F6CCD}".

I'm thinking of moving each major subdirectory to my backup HD and scanning it from a different machine?

I will try to DL Ewido onto that machine and try it first.

Keep the thoughts coming!

Thanks,

rjb
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:55:41 AM by rjbinney »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
    You could safely move the HDD to another machine and hook it up as a slave and scan it in safemode...

I'm curious as to that error message there. It looks like a driver installation gone wonky.
    Any new hardware in this beast ? ?
    Or software ? ?

patio.   8-)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 10:34:58 AM »
    This is a machine I had to reformat about six weeks ago, so there's lots of "new" software that's really just the "old" software reinstalled. So same stuff, but no doubt in different physical places on the HD. And, of course, I had mucho issues with the driver installs (dude, it's a Dell).

My thoughts on moving to an external and scanning is I may just back it up and do another reinstall. But I want to make sure I'm not just moving a virus or something else back and forth.

My ewido (that's hard to type) install went wonky. Said it was OK (I did it while still in XP Safe Mode), but I couldn't do an update. So I rebooted in Normal, and it kept giving me an error message that where ewido installed AVG (which I already have installed, anyway) was "corrupt and unreadable" and I should run Chkdsk.

So now I'm trying to remove ewido and reinstall and see what happens.

Heck, I live in Philadelphia - what ISN'T "corrupt and unreadable"?????!?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »
    Well, I was going to publish my ewido report, but it printed in gibberish. Two cookies and one "Adware" - all medium risk.

Attached is my Kaspersky report.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »
    Quite a few locked objects but none looked questionable...was this run in safemode ? ?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »
    was this run in safemode ? ?
    Um.....

No.

(I can't access the internets when I'm in Safe Mode, even if I do "Safe Mode with Networking". I can ping outside IPs, but I can't get the browsers to work.)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 12:45:25 PM »
    I uninstalled and was reinstalling Adobe Reader (tangent), but I noticed that a Zone Alarm screen would flash for just a bried moment - just enough for me to see it was ZA, but can't make out anything else. It's just a small window in the middle of my screen.

I am SUPPOSED to be running ZA when the machine launches, but I just noticed it's not in the tray.

Hmmmm.... Could that be something?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 12:51:44 PM »
    was this run in safemode ? ?
    Um.....

No.

(I can't access the internets when I'm in Safe Mode, even if I do "Safe Mode with Networking". I can ping outside IPs, but I can't get the browsers to work.)

Re-DLoad Ewido...install it into it's own directory. Then re-boot into safemode and run another scan...you do not need the internet to run a scan with Ewido.

patio.   8-)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 12:58:26 PM »
    Sorry - ewido WAS run in Safe Mode. Kaspersky was NOT.

You do need the net with ewido, to update.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 01:01:10 PM »
      yea
       try to update before going inot safe mode

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 01:40:42 PM »
        It's time to take a look at that HJT log you mentioned.