Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking Errors in Windows/Peer to Peer  (Read 7394 times)

zauber

Networking Errors in Windows/Peer to Peer
« on: September 15, 2004, 12:19:54 PM »
The following error occurred on a Windows 2000 machine that was currently working quite well  --

"Microsoft Windows Network -- The volume does not contain a recognized file system.  Please make sure all required file systems are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

The error is generated when I try to access the other PC's and printers on the peer-to-peer network.

If you can think of anything, please let me know.

Sandra

merlin_2

Re: Networking Errors in Windows/Peer to Peer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 01:44:52 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 01:47:49 PM by merlin_2 »

Sandra Gagnon-Frantz

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 07:24:14 AM »
Thank you for the reply, but I don't quite understand what you are implying.  I can access all networking functions under Windows Safe Mode, but not in standard mode.   The URL to Microsoft leads me to an error code listing, of that which I don't know what to do from that point on.

Thank you,
Sandra

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 08:26:37 AM »
Merlin isn't implying anything, just asking a question.

Sandra Gagnon-Frantz

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 08:46:24 AM »
So who is Merlin?  Is this an automated response system?  And how do I respond to it? Here in this box?  Answer Yes, No or paraphrasing?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 09:38:10 AM »
Well you could start by asking a question and waiting for Merlin_2, a member of the human race, to respond?

Joleen

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 10:18:21 AM »
Merlin is a person much like yourself who tries to help out as best as possible (even if he doesn't like XP *poke*).  You could respond to Merlin much the same way as you responded to me.. in the forum.

Merlin's question was, is your Share Folders/Printers box checked (enabled)?  If you don't know where the box is just say so and he or someone else will, I'm sure, be happy to point you in the right direction.

Ignore Raptor, he's a teenager and as such is still awaiting the development of social niceties.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 10:19:19 AM by Joleen »

2k dummy

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 10:58:07 AM »
Ignore Raptor, he's a teenager and as such is still awaiting the development of social niceties.

Yeah, but Raptor is one mean machine. ;D

jonah

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 11:23:47 AM »
2k_dummy: It makes a nice desktop.  ;D

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 12:18:30 PM »
Here's something to keep you all entertained when I'm not around. (Hey, Joleen, you can place it next to your 'nuclear' clock! ;D)

Oh yeah, don't feed it after midnight.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 12:28:15 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 02:37:25 PM »
thanks for the poke joleen ;        >>>>    zauber this  is snipped from the website i gave you >.The following table provides a list of system error codes (errors 1000 to 1299). These values are defined in the WinError.h header file. They are returned by the GetLastError function when many functions fail. To retrieve the description text for the error in your application, use the FormatMessage function with the FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM flag.

Code Description Name
1001 Recursion too deep; the stack overflowed. ERROR_STACK_OVERFLOW
1002 The window cannot act on the sent message. ERROR_INVALID_MESSAGE
1003 Cannot complete this function. ERROR_CAN_NOT_COMPLETE
1004 Invalid flags. ERROR_INVALID_FLAGS
1005 The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted. ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_VOLUME

copyright mircrosoft 2004    .....this is an automated response...merlin_2

Sandra Gagnon-Frantz

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 07:53:21 AM »
Alright Merlin:

I don't know where the box is for the sharing is located, if you could please direct me?

In addition, I noticed when I booted the system up in safe mode/networking, all the networking and printers became available to the OS.  This is a bit of a puzzle and I wonder why they are availbale in safe mode and not in standard mode?

thanks for all you feedback,
Sandra

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2004, 12:22:45 PM »
check all your settings...info here>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306126