Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems with IE and related files' net access...  (Read 3537 times)

hamgmt

problems with IE and related files' net access...
« on: October 01, 2006, 03:01:53 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all,

my internet connection IS active (when i use firefox i am fully able to access all websites). however, it is ONLY firefox. if i use Internet Explorer, i get an error:

" The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. "

...that old faithful. also progs that are tied into IE or the net are not active, such as: outlook express downloads mail but does not show graphics in e-mails, weatherbug does not recognize the net connection, bit torrent doesn't work, itunes does not access the music store, music match jukebox does not access the CDDB, and on and on and on. i have seen this happen in the past but only for a day or maybe 2, so i assumed the net was maybe spotty, but this has been a week or more now. any idea how i can re-do it so i go back to being able to access thru IE and related progs?

i recently switched ISPs, now am with Time Warner Cable, but it is a cable connection and there was no user name/pw needed to log on (and firefox connection continues to be fine). so please help me fix IE, or is there a way to have all those programs use the firefox browser in their workings instead?

i am running with windows xp, on a HP pc.

thanks in advance,

bob

Raptor

Re: problems with IE and related files' net access
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »
Are you firewalled?

Firefox is like magik.  8-)

Reset security zones

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Security tab  
6. Reset all 4 security zones to Default  

Reset cookie settings

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Privacy tab
6. Click Restore Default button  

Reset Internet Explorer advanced settings

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Advanced button
6. Click Restore Default button  

You may need to do the following as well

Remove Cookies, temporary files (cache) and history

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. General tab  
6. Remove cookies, temporary files and history  

Kudos to the CH fella's for keeping it safe.  :D

You may have to remove any Dial-up connections in the 'Connection' tab and tag the option "Never choose a connection"

Your LAN-settings might need to be cleared as well, untag and empty everything unless your new ISP has specifically told you to keep certain settings.

hamgmt

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »

thanks, i will try that when i get home!

i was never told anything at all by my new ISP, that may be part of the problem; the guy came and installed the cable and plugged the modem in, and told me it was ok.  i plugged the pc in and the net worked at that point, IE and firefox and everything else.  but a couple days later this happened.  

anyway, thanks, and i'll check back if i can't fix it with your directions!

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 11:44:02 PM »
It used to work?

Do you have the latest Windows updates?

Have you got Anti-virus and anti-spyware software?

hamgmt

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:25:16 PM »
well i had all that stuff.  the LATEST microsoft updates i couldnt get because since the IE was screwy it wouldnt let me download.  so now (your stuff worked by the way, thanks) i got a couple new updates and a security fix that i think was new.  the problem was with smit-related malware...i had virus-burst and a bunch of those things get in and really screw me up.  when i finally got it removed, things were screwy as i described in the first message (everything got set to default in order to run the fixvb program).

i dunno about that stuff, virusburst and all, but the malware was sure tricky.  it disguises itself REALLY well, it even showed up in the corner bar when i started in safe mode!  but it's finally gone; the only remnant i see is something listed when i go into "Add/Remove Programs" called 'advertisemen' (missing the t as typed here).  when i click to remove it now it tells me:

"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\pushow93.dll

The specified module could not be found."

so i assume that nodule was removed when the virus removal prog was run, but i can't figure out how to get that taken off the "Add/Remove" list.  either way it is not tied to anything that is running so i am not slowed by it anymore.

i did all the re-setting you suggested and the thing that finally worked was the LAN-reset you mentioned at the end.  it seems to be that alone, as everything worked as soon as i clicked that off. :)

thank you again!  so why does firefox work when the LAN was on when nothing else did? just curious...

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:41:55 PM »
thank you again!  so why does firefox work when the LAN was on when nothing else did? just curious.

I think Firefox wasn't configured to only handle Dial-up, it probably was able to choose from whatever connection there was available.

If your computer is now a bit of a mess, you should try CrapCleaner(Click)

See you around if you have any more problems.  ;)