Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: just bought a new rig and put 2gether myself..help  (Read 2799 times)

tvarmy04

just bought a new rig and put 2gether myself..help
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:11:24 PM »
ok i just purchased all new parts for my computer here they are:

-intel penium d 3.2 dual core
-intel d101 GGCL
-1gb pc3200 high density ram
-nvidia geforce 6800gs
-600w atx psu

now everythings installed i went to boot and it shows the bios for a split second (and reads only 256mb). then it loads to the intel wallpaper and just freezes there...help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: just bought a new rig and put 2gether myself..
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 09:49:02 PM »
The 256 being reported is the RAM on the vid card...since it goes no further than that you either have something hooked up wrong or a component is not seated properly.
Completely unhook all power to the unit and double check all your connections including the RAM and IDE cables.

patio.    8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tvarmy04

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:20:28 PM »
ok i also 4got to post taht when it was on the bios screen the only thing that it showed WAS the video card nothing else no harddrive, cdroms drives....now my hdd is a sata connection ive never used it b4 im used to the good ol ide strips but anyways there was 2 plugs one was for the power the other was a red one that had a septerate plug in slot on the mobo. but ima take everything apart rite now and resit everything.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 11:56:22 PM »
You either damaged something while installing or you didn't install it properly.

downundersteve

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 01:20:29 AM »
Hi There
You have video output so your power to modbo, video card and CPU is OK.
Does you video card need it's own power from the psu, check to see if it's got a molex connector.
If not forget about that bit.

Can you boot to Floppy disk or CD ?

Unplug your RAM re-boot are you getting post beeps?
If you do plug your ram back in and assume ram is OK
Make sure if you have x2 512mb ram you have two idential sticks, if 1gb stick forget about this too.

Go into bios and turn off "Wallpaper" It's not called wallpaper but I forget what it is called in bios.
reboot can you see any error messages?

Is you bios set to auto detect for your drives, most mobo's are set to auto detect but check anyway.

I had similar problem today, (funny eh) and it was a bad stick of ram.
Is is possible you can test with another stick?

Anyhow let us know how you get on
steve

tvarmy04

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:36:14 AM »
arighty hey steve...i already did the ram test and found out one of my gb sticks were bad thats why im only left with just 1 gb stick that does work. as for the extra power to the video card it does got one and it is already plugged in. when i try to load the bios cd for the mobo i can hear the cd spinning but nothing else. and i cant even get into the bios(even pressing delete to enter bios wont work). like it shows it for a split second with the details on my video card then it switches to that intel wallpaper. ive alreayd unplugged everting and reinserted it all. im completely clueless wat to do now all i want to do is get this computer running so i can play bf2 and star wars

downundersteve

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 10:41:22 AM »
SO.........
Am I right in saying that your pc seems to post OK but sticks on intel screen?

Don't mean to ask stupid questions but did you press f2, (could be DEL key but intel usually f2) several  times while booting to get into bios?
If you did you should get bios setup screens

the remaining stick of ram, has it been tested in another pc? is this possible to try? possibly two are dead?

i'm running out of ideas why you cant get into bios
generally if you ram is ok and you get a post screen u should be able to get into bios

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »
Raptor was on target. What about that advice?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 07:34:25 AM »
Raptor was on target. What about that advice?

Oh, well, ehm; I suppose I'd disconnect everything and reset the CMOS. Also take out the mainboard and place it on a non-conductive surface to see if the case is at fault. You can short-circuit the case power connector to have it boot if the case power cable isn't long enough.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 12:46:47 PM »
Occasionally this is caused by bad components, but usually it is an incorrect build. Unfortunately when you slam it all together and it doesn't work you have absolutely no idea where to start.

So take tha advice about outside the case assembly on 1 stick of RAM only, video card (unless you have onboard video), CPU/Fan and hook to the PSU. Does it work? If not, and all components are inserted correctly it is definitely component. If it does you can only introduce one variable at a time so you will know where the problem is.