Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How To Remove Program Not Listed In Add/Remove?  (Read 3840 times)

natwhit

How To Remove Program Not Listed In Add/Remove?
« on: September 25, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
I need to remove a program from my computer.  However, it isn't listed in Add/Remove Programs & it doesn't have an uninstall file.  How do I get it off my computer?  Thanks.  

KristopherWindsor

Beginner
  • FreeBasic Genius
    Re: How To Remove Program Not Listed In Add/Remove
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »
    You could search for it and delete the .exe file. But first, give more info because it depends on the OS and program type.  ;D
    Kristopher Windsor (Google me!)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »
    I need to remove a program from my computer.  However, it isn't listed in Add/Remove Programs & it doesn't have an uninstall file.  How do I get it off my computer?  Thanks.  

What program ? ?

Some have a built in un-installer but without knowing well....

There are proper ways of doing this so post back with what we thrive on...info
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 02:53:17 PM »
    General advice that would apply is to simply remove the program and run a registry cleaner afterwards. However, if the program didn't come with an uninstaller, it probably didn't create any registry entries either.

KristopherWindsor

Beginner
    • FreeBasic Genius
      « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »
      If you installed the program from a CD, just run the setup program from the CD again. It will ask if you want to remove the program.

natwhit

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »
      When you say search for and delete the exe file, do you mean to simply delete it from the All Programs Folder?

I am using Windows XP Home.  The program itself is called Online Gold Finder.  It creates a list of topics being searched for online according to criteria that I put into it.  The copy I have on my computer no longer works because the hosting compnay for the software changed IP addresses or something like that.  I downloaded an updated version that is supposed to work with the new IP address, but it won't let me install it until I remove the old one.  The maker of the software said it should show in the Add/Remove Programs list and he doesn't know why it's not there.

KristopherWindsor

Beginner
      • FreeBasic Genius
        « Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:14:21 PM »
        The list of programs from the Start Menu is essentially just a list of shortcuts to the programs in "C:\Program Files." So you would have to delete the .EXE file in addition to deleting the "All Programs" listing of it.

I downloaded an updated version that is supposed to work with the new IP address, but it won't let me install it until I remove the old one.

The new version know the program is there, so Windows should too. Maybe it is just named something else in the "Remove Programs" window?

Don't delete anything yet. I'm sure someone else will have some advice. :)