Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win2000 Boot Up Error  (Read 4371 times)

sherman

Win2000 Boot Up Error
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:44:26 AM »
My wifes Laptop has a boot up error.

It is  a WIN2000 Laptop. It boots almost to the end and gives this error window:

Program Error

<prosess has already exited> has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the Program.

An error log has been created.

It has an OK Button and when you click it all the icons dissapear and the comnputer hangs at a blank desktop. The error gives no indication of what Program or process is causing the problem. It appears as if everything has loaded when the error has occured and It is at the point that you would normally start using the computer at the end of the bootup process.

It seams to me that some program that loades up during the boot up is causes the problem.

Can anybody help me.

Sherman

Raptor

Re: Win2000 Boot Up Error
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 06:49:06 AM »
Can you boot into safe mode?

sherman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:42:13 AM »
Hi

Yes I can boot into safe mode.

But I don't know where to go from there. That error window says that a log has been created but I don't know where to find the error log or enen what it could be named.

My main PC in still WIN98 so I don't know so much about trouble shooting WIN 2000

Sherman

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:43:51 AM »
I'm not sure if Windows 2000 looks a lot like Windows XP but try the following:

• Start
  • Settings
  • Control Panel
  • System Management
  • Error logs

Can you scan for viruses and spyware in safe mode? If so, what scanners are you using?

sherman

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:30:20 AM »
I ran Spybot Search and destroy and Adaware in safe mode. THey did not find very much becaus one of them had been run recenty. There is no antivirus on this computer. I was about to install AVG Antivirus shortly befor I started to have this problem.

Regarding finding an error log. I went into the Control Pannel. I found Asministrator Tools. I went into that. There I found Computer Management under which I found an Event Log which had under that: Application Log, Security Log and System Log. The security log was empty but there was lots in the other two.

I couldn't find error logs but could the event log contain the same information.

Sherman

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 01:52:56 PM »
What happened prior to all of this? What is the computer make/model, etc.? More details are needed.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 03:24:46 PM »
I ran Spybot Search and destroy and Adaware in safe mode. THey did not find very much becaus one of them had been run recenty. There is no antivirus on this computer. I was about to install AVG Antivirus shortly befor I started to have this problem.

Regarding finding an error log. I went into the Control Pannel. I found Asministrator Tools. I went into that. There I found Computer Management under which I found an Event Log which had under that: Application Log, Security Log and System Log. The security log was empty but there was lots in the other two.

I couldn't find error logs but could the event log contain the same information.

Sherman

What did the event log tell you?

What happened prior to all of this? What is the computer make/model, etc.? More details are needed.

Important.  :)

sherman

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 06:03:42 PM »
The Computer is a Toshiba Satellite 4100x DVD Notebook.

I'm not sure exactly what the processer is but from the system info
it says X86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 10 Guinine Intel 399mhrts

I guess mayby a [highlight]P2 0r P3 400.[/highlight]
6 gig Hard Drive with about 1.5 Gigs free

System info says 196,016 kb of RAM

Sherman
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 09:06:48 PM by GX1_Man »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 09:11:59 PM »
This is a Pentium 2 400 Mhz processor. These units shipped with Windows 98, so I feel sure that Windows 2000 was loaded later. Do you have a disc for this and a COA to make it legal?

In any event you should test the hard drive and RAM integrity.

Go to the appropraite drive maker's site for the hard drive, and www.memtest86.com for the RAM test.

If this all tests OK, Windows will need to be reloaded.

I believe that model originally shipped with a 6.4 gig drive. If the size of this drive is different it could be important.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 09:13:18 PM by GX1_Man »