Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Email Problems  (Read 41656 times)

vinyl68

Email Problems
« on: September 30, 2006, 10:12:43 AM »
Hello...

I'm new to this site and any help provided here is greatly appreciated.

Lately I've been having problems sending email with photo and sound attachments.  I've been told by many people whom I've been sending such documents that they could not open them (most of the photos are either in JPEG or PDF).   I'm not sure if it's the system, the software or the person operating the computer (me).

I'm using Verizon Online as the Internet provider and they have been of little help, as they told me that the problem might be within the Outlook Express (which I use for email).

I can't find anything that's wrong with OE and I'm a bit short from being frustrated.    :-?  

Thanks for reading.

MS Win XP Pro Vers 2 SP2, Intel Pent 4, CPU 1.70 GHz, 1.72 GHz, 504 MB RAM

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Email Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:27:47 AM »
Does Verizon provide a webmail interface?  If so, can you try uwsing that to send the same messages?

I would however strongly recommend abandoning Outlook Express in favour of >Thunderbird<, which is far more competent, and a considerably more secure and customisable email client.  WHy not try it and report back your results?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

vinyl68

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:37:56 AM »
Hi, Rob.  Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking over the Thunderbird site at the moment, and I'm thinking of using their email services.  I do have one concern, though:  I have a small business on the side and I'm using Outlook for at least 2 email addresses for the business.  How would the switch affect them, if such a case?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:18:51 PM »
Thunderbird is far better - I mean far far FAR better - than Outlook Express at handling multiple email accounts.  It's better even than the full version of Outlook (although Outlook proper does have many more features than Thunderbird).  You'd be fine transferring over, but feel free to post for more advice when you do so.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 12:44:40 PM »
I tried setting up multiple accounts with Outlook Express today, spent half 'n hour on figuring out how to, eventually gave up and done the job within 3 minutes using Thunderbird.  ;)

vinyl68

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
Okay...I've downloaded Thunderbird and transferred the files from Outlook.  I tried to send a message and kept getting this error message:

"Sending of message failed.  Message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net failed.  The server may be unavailable, or is refusing SMTP connections.  Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator."

I checked the servers on both programs to see that the servers are similar, which in fact they are.  Other than that I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 06:59:43 PM »
Maybe the SMTP server problem was also affecting OE's outgoing mail.  You mentioned using Outlook for a small business.  Are you having the same problem with it as with OE?  Just because you stopped using OE for personal email, you would not need to stop using Outlook for business.

I have multiple email accounts in OE.  If you want to discuss specifics on this, perhaps I can help.

vinyl68

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 07:20:44 PM »
The only problem I have with the business emails is that no one's using them through the company website.  Other than that, they're fine. ;)

I'm just trying to get the regular email working here in Thunderbird.  I'm not sure about the SMTP server: am I not supposed to have it set as outgoing.verizon.net (as I have it on OE)?  :-?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »
I would think so.  That would be the same, regardless of what email client you're using.  Is that the code Verizon says to use for outgoing email?

vinyl68

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »
That's what they told me when I first set up the regular email in OE.  Yet with the business emails they're set up as stmpout.secureserver.net.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »
Two separate accounts, right?  And the one used for the business is a "Business" account, right?  The  coding phrase seems to indicate a more secure mail server for business accounts.   Would you agree?

Is the business, using Outlook, working OK?  Oh, I forgot, you said that's working OK.

Have you tried outgoing.verizon.net in Thunderbird yet?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:39:07 PM by soybean »

vinyl68

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 07:44:36 PM »
You are correct.  And they do work, as far as I know.  But then, I've always been able to send regular emails okay.

The problem is trying to send photos, PDF files and WAV files attachments.  Up until the last few months, I've been able to do this.  Now there have been problems for people to open them.

I did a test yesterday in sending a photo to myself.  The attachment came back as a DAT file, and was opened through a totally different program.  I deleted the program from my computer and tested again, but the result was the same.

Not sure what to make of it or how to have it resolved.    

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 05:25:17 AM »
You might need to set the password, account name, different types of ports and security for your SMTP server.

Give us the full details (Apart from the password, ofcourse) and we can tell you what you need to configure in Thunderbird.

vinyl68

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 08:09:15 AM »
Here are the stats (taken from the "Properties" section):

GENERAL

Name:  name
E-mail: [email protected]

SERVERS

Mail server: POP3
Incoming mail: incoming.verizon.net
Outgoing mail: outgoing.verizon.net

CONNECTION

Local Area Network

ADVANCE

Server Port #
Outgoing mail (SMTP): 25
Incoming mail (POP3): 110

Server timeouts: 1 min.

Sending: (Break apart messages larger than) 120 KB

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 08:19:38 AM »
You have configured it according to the example below?

The attachment came back as a DAT file, and was opened through a totally different program.  I deleted the program from my computer and tested again, but the result was the same.

I don't think this is related to your settings. I think a virus scanner is interfering. Have you asked the provider if anything on their side could be causing this?

What type of Security software do you have?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 08:21:37 AM by Raptor »