Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with hard drive after windowx xp install  (Read 2498 times)

beno1998

problem with hard drive after windowx xp install
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:27:43 PM »
I re-installed windows xp sp2, after i reinstalled windows xp my hard drive only shows 15.9 GB of memory, before it showed a C drive with 15.9 GB and a D drive with 45GB of memeory. The hard drive i have on my computer is a SAMSUNG SV6003H.  PLease help. Thank you.

GX1_Man

Re: problem with hard drive after windowx xp insta
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:21:32 PM »
Hard drive is not memory, but the missing drive letter is a puzzler.

Did you have anything on that other part of the drive? How was it formatted?

beno1998

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »
Well on the other part of the hard drive i had just regular files, videos and songs, and i think the hard drive was formatted as NFTS, im not sure, i dont think there is anything wrong with the hard drive, anyway, i appreciate any advice you can give me.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:08:27 PM »
Well on the other part of the hard drive i had just regular files, videos and songs, and i think the hard drive was formatted as NFTS, im not sure,[highlight] i dont think there is anything wrong with the hard drive[/highlight], anyway, i appreciate any advice you can give me.

Other than it isn't working correctly?

Does the drive letter show at all in Windows and is not accessible? Or it is just not listed at all? What version of Windows? Can you see it in Disk Management?

beno1998

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »
tHE DRIVE LETTER DOES NOT APPEAR AT ALL ANYWHERE, I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2, AND I CANNOT SEE THE DRIVE IN DISK MANAGEMENT.  THE ONLY INFO SHOWING UNDER C DRIVE IS CAPACITY 15.9GB, AND FILE SYSTEM NTFS.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 03:25:31 AM »
Make sure it is still enabled in the BIOS.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 04:29:05 AM »
There are two separate physical drives or two partitions on only one drive? Did you play with the cabling, etc.?

beno1998

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 08:44:17 AM »
problem solveddddddddd, all i had to do was to format the unpartitioned space on my hard drive,  i went to control panel, switched to classic view, administrative tools,computer management, disk management, tghen i saw the unpartitioned space that was available, i right click that area and created a new partitoion and formatted it. it was easy, it took like 10 hours to format but now i have my disk space back, thanks for your help guys, i hope this info helps someone else. bye.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 10:35:14 AM »
problem solveddddddddd, [highlight]all i had to do was to format the unpartitioned space on my hard drive,  i went to control panel, switched to classic view, administrative tools,computer management, disk management, tghen i saw the unpartitioned space that was available, i right click that area and created a new partitoion and formatted it.[/highlight] it was easy, it took like 10 hours to format but now i have my disk space back, thanks for your help guys, i hope this info helps someone else. bye.

I would have suggested that if you hadn't said this before:

ND I CANNOT SEE THE DRIVE IN DISK MANAGEMENT

You really have to be more specific next time.

By the way, taking 10 hours to format is a bit strange. Either the HDD is not properly configured or it's failing.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 01:03:19 PM »
Unless all the errors have made the drive revert to PIO mode but even at that i don't think it would take 10 hours...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "